Saturday, March 10, 2012

Thought monopoly

It's difficult to quiet my mind most of the time.  Probably why I suffer from insomnia. If someone or something is consuming my thoughts, I figure it's because I'm in need of resolution.  The more I try to put the thought out of my head, the more it creeps in day after day, night after night.  Finally, I get to the point where I wonder if it is God wanting me to take action or the enemy nudging me toward the fire. The battle going on in my head can be fierce.  When I am at the bordering-on-obsession point, I stop and pray for the ultimate Decision Maker to step in. He knows me and how my brain works.  He knows when I am thinking too much and sprinkles a little grace to aid me in determining a resolution.  I know I have made the right decision when I feel peace quiet my mind.  I know I have made the wrong decision when my anxiety level accelerates.   Either way, I know He will continue to love me despite my flaws.

In today's first reading from Micah 7:18-19, we are reassured our God is merciful:

. . . Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance; Who does not persist in anger forever, but delights rather in clemency, And will again have compassion on us, treading underfoot our guilt?


God knows we are incapable of perfection on this earth.  All He asks is for us to choose wisely to the best of our ability.  And, He knows we will occasionally choose evil over good.  Yes, HE KNOWS EVERYTHING!  Nothing we do is hidden from Him.  Nothing.  I am so thankful for His patience!


In the June 2009 Monthly Message, Jesus points out why we should always choose good over evil: 



“When you see goodness and kindness, you must thank Me. When you see mercy and compassion, you must thank Me. These occurrences originate in heaven and are brought to earth through the participation of those who cooperate with grace. Always, there are those who claim to participate in grace, but who do not. There are also those who claim to reject Me and yet they participate in grace by allowing goodness to flow through them. How confusing this can be for My children. Dear children, ultimately, this will be clear, in that each man must answer yes or no in each moment. Be alert to the choices in your day. Be alert to the example you set for others in your decisions for good or evil. Be alert to the peace that I bring to you when you decide for what is good.”

Lent is a great time for me to practice "un-monopolizing" my thoughts.  I must practice listening more intently to His promptings and less on my own.

Thank you, Lord, for gently (and sometimes not so gently!) prompting me to choose good over evil.  I am trying!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: