Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Leap of Faith

Two of my daughters have been skydiving.  A good friend has done over 700 jumps and skydives every weekend.  The thought of leaping out of an airplane scares me to death. What if the parachute doesn't open?  What if you forget when to pull the cord to release it?  There are rules and regulations to assure the best outcome when jumping.  An experienced instructor teaches you about the equipment so you understand everything about the huge thing strapped to your back.  And, you listen very carefully, right?  You don't want to plunge 100 mph to your death!  I am not an adrenaline junky in any way, shape or form.  But ask anyone to describe the experience and they will tell you it's liberating.  One minute of pure heaven . . . a leap of faith.


Isn't belief in God like skydiving?  We need Christ, priests and pastors (instructors) to guide and teach us about the Bible (equipment) so we are ready for the day we are called to heaven (the jump).  Take a leap of faith.  Start implementing those rules and regulations daily knowing the Great Instructor wants us to arrive safe and sound. Believe.


In today's Gospel (Luke 11:14-23), Jesus is driving demons out of a mute man in front of a crowd.  The mute man speaks and the crowd was amazed. And yet they still ask Jesus for another sign from heaven.  Poor sweet Jesus!  After knowing what they were thinking (disbelief), He tells the crowd that the Kingdom of God is upon them now.  It came upon all of mankind when our Savior was born in Bethlehem.


When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his possessions are safe. But when one stronger than he attacks and overcomes him, he takes away the armor on which he relied and distributes the spoils. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Our protective armor is Christ!  With Him, we can overcome the wickedness and snares of the devil! 

In Volume Three, God the Father lovingly, yet firmly, prepares us for our journey to Him:

“Children, if you are not following My words, if you are not united with Me, if you do not acknowledge and respect My dominion over both you and your world, you are going to be uncomfortable and frightened. These times are over. My time is coming. There will be gladness, it is true. It is what My children have prayed for. But change is difficult for those without a firm understanding and belief in the next world. If you were asked to hand your life to Me this day, and account for it fully, how would you feel? Would you feel calm? Would you feel confident that while you have made mistakes, you have done your best and can offer Me a fair trade for your eternal reward? Could you even say, “God, I have wasted much of My time here on earth but I see that you are the Creator and I bow before you?” That is all that is necessary for your salvation, child, but you are going to wish that you had a small bit of something to give Me.”


I would like to end with a great quote from one of my favorite saints, St. Therese, the Little Flower:

Many people say, "I don't have the courage to make this sacrifice." Let them do what I did: exert a great effort. God never refuses that first grace which gives one the courage to act; afterwards the heart is strengthened.

Thank you, Lord, for giving us Your Words within the Volumes through Anne, and from all Your great saints. Truly Direction for Our Times.  

God bless,
Bonnie




No comments: