Thursday, March 1, 2012

Praying with purpose

In the Adoration chapel last week, I had a pretty specific list of prayer intentions to discuss with Jesus.  I was very clear in what I wanted and began my prayer with number one on my list.  After praying for others, I threw in a couple of my own wants.  I knew I was pushing it with a few of the requests.  But, I asked anyway.  Please remember, when prayers don't get answered or we don't "get" a specific request, the answer from Jesus is "no."  He knows what will bring us closer to Him and what will push us further away.  As much as we think we want or desire what we ask for, ultimately, it could lead to our demise.  Pray for what you need, not for what you want.

In today's Gospel (Mt 7: 7-12), Jesus enlightens His disciples about proper prayer:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asked for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asked for a fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.”


And, in the Monthly Message from Jesus November 2010:

“. . . My love for you will weather any strain or pain, any mistake or any emotional storm you experience. I will never leave you. I will always love you and welcome you in My heart. Your answers and your clarity will be found with Me. Sometimes, dear apostle, you fear that I am not giving you the answers you require. This is not true. If you need an answer from Me, you will receive it. If a course correction is necessary, I will direct you to it. Your prayers are instantly at home in My heart and I rejoice that you have come to Me with these requests. It is not possible that a beloved apostle will be rejected. Do not think that I ignore your pain or that your pain leaves Me indifferent. You, dear apostle, have shown Me that you are interested in My pain which will always involve the pain of humanity. This moves My heart to the greatest generosity. I answer your prayers in a mystical way. Some day you will see that I answered your prayers in the most beneficial way possible, given the intention."

Always ask Him for what you want and need.  Just be satisfied with His answers.  We may not understand His "no" now, but we will some day. Trust He knows what He's doing!

Thank you, Lord, for patience when my prayers aren't answered the way I desired them to be.  Help me to see Your heavenly view of my requests bringing peace to my heart.

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: