Wednesday, March 7, 2012

One uppers

We all know a one upper, don't we?  The person who has done everything you have, just bigger, better, faster or smarter.  It was so bad for me one time, I literally wanted to say I had been bitten in half by a shark and they sewed me back together just to see her one up me!  But, I restrained myself and let her think she was clearly better.  Sometimes, we just need to keep our mouthes shut, right?  We are not better than anyone else.  One uppers struggle with low self esteem (whether they admit it or not) and need to feel they are important and worthwhile human beings. All of us have the need to feel we matter.  But as Christians, Jesus teaches us to be humble and serve; not proud and arrogant.

In today's Gospel (Mt 20: 25-28), Jesus gives His disciples a lesson in humility:


“You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and the great ones make their authority over them felt. But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave. Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

If Jesus, the Son of Man, came here to serve and not be served, what makes anyone think they are better than Him?  He is our role model.  Follow Him.  Imitate Him.  Serve like Him.

In the February 2011 Monthly Message, Jesus clarifies the importance of our uniqueness:

“Truly, I know that there are times when you wonder why I have placed you where I have placed you. I hope, dear apostles, that these times are brief. I hope that you will spend less time wondering why you are serving in a given role and more time wondering how to serve more completely in the role given to you. You see, comparisons to others will never bear fruit. You are unique. The work I have for you is unique and you must beware of the habit of dragging your vocation behind you as though it were something so heavy that it destroyed your joy.”

Sometimes it's hard being a server 24/7.  Occasionally, we want to be taken care of.  As long as we "take" with a humble and thankful heart, turnaround service is a breeze!  Jesus knew His fate, yet He persevered in service to His disciples and the crowds.  Let's all perform some sort of service for anyone other than ourselves today.  I promise, the Son of Man will be smiling down upon you.  

Thank you, Lord, for showing me what true service to others looks like.  Please send me the graces to follow in Your footsteps and serve without ceasing.

God bless,
Bonnie





No comments: