Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Relinquish Grudges and Bitterness

I have a high tolerance for bad behavior.  It developed at a very young age.  Listening to my mother's hurtful words when she was not taking her medication (for bipolar disorder) could stab me right in the heart.  Each bitter word contributed to the thick skin I walk around with today.  And, each bitter word taught me to love deeper and dismiss ugly behavior.  But, my high tolerance can be difficult for those around me.  They see me treated unfairly, and assume I am letting people walk all over me by continuing to care. Nothing could be further from the truth.  I get offended.  I get hurt.  Rather than being upset and holding a grudge, I forgive.  The closer I get to Christ, the more fine tuned my capacity to love against all odds.

Today's Gospel (Mt 18:21-35) made me smile.  This is my favorite part:

Peter approached Jesus and asked him,

"Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.

Every time I read this, I always wonder how Peter came up with the number seven! Can you imagine his face when Jesus said seventy-seven?  Not what he wanted to hear, but what he needed to learn.

In Anne a lay apostle’s book, Climbing the Mountain, she affirms the value of forgiveness:
“Anger and bitterness are not fruits of the true Spirit and do nothing to persuade others that you are rooted in the King of Peace. Love of God is quiet and sure. Those who love God seldom shout others down. It is partially for this reason that evil has flourished in this time as those who represent satan speak loudly and boisterously. They do not listen. They do not judiciously weigh the truth of statements. Rather they seek ways to pierce truth in order to flow falseness through it, thereby blending the two and confusing the faithful. The faithful must learn to conduct themselves with all calm in this time. We have the Kingdom of God in our souls, at our constant beckoning. We need look no further for answers than within. If we do not have the words on our tongue, then we must ask for the Spirit to speak through us and He will do so.”

Letting go of bitterness and hurt is not easy.  It's always a struggle in extreme cases. Today, take a look inside and see if you are holding a grudge against anyone.  Pray about the situation and then make a phone call, send a text or email.  Forgive or ask for forgiveness.  Whether it be a loved one, friend or co-worker, show them the beauty of God's love and mercy. Remember, even the worst of the worst are children of the Father. His Love is unconditional.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with my beautiful mother on earth.  I am more grateful to her now than she ever could have imagined when she was alive.  

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: