Monday, March 5, 2012

Love Your Enemies

I watched a movie Friday night called "The Way" with Martin Sheen.  It piqued my interest because it was about the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela (also known as The Way of St. James), an 800 km walk starting in St. Jean Pied de Port, France and finishing in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, at the Cathedral where legend says it houses the remains of the apostle St. James. I visited Santiago de Compostela years ago and after seeing this movie, I would love to be able to walk the entire 800 km on pilgrimage. Someday . . . I don't want to give away the movie, but Saturday's Gospel teaches us what the movie does . . . love your enemy as you never know why they act the way they do.  Remember, we have not walked in their shoes.

In Saturday's Gospel reading (Mt 5:43-48), Jesus is teaching one of the hardest lessons to adhere to.  But, one of the most important:

Jesus said to his disciples: "You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers and sisters only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect."


How can we love someone who is demeaning us?  By the grace of God.  How can we love someone choosing the evil one over Jesus?  By prayer.  Please realize there is great power in prayer.  I've seen it with my own eyes.  


In the February 2008 Monthly Message, Jesus shows us that loving our enemies will lead to greater holiness:



". . . Next, your service to the Kingdom has been used to bring light to other souls. Think for a moment. Is it not true that you have tried to treat others more like I treated others? Is it not true that there have been times when you returned love for hostility? Have you not discovered that you view even your enemies with greater compassion? Think dear apostles. Have you shared My merciful message with others? Have they benefited? Without your cooperation, this could not have happened. Yes, many have benefited because you have chosen to serve Me."

Thank you, Lord, for showing me, through this apostolate, the true value of loving and praying for my enemies.  I am forever changed.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: