Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Why Suffer?

Suffering. Such a horrific word. Our human tendency is to avoid agony at all costs.  Suffering appears differently to each person in their unique situation . . . exhaustion from lack of sleep when a new baby arrives; an abusive marriage; dealing with a cancer diagnosis; losing a loved one; or despair in loneliness.  The list goes on and on.  So why would anyone want to experience it with humility and a sense of joy as Jesus asks in the Volumes? Last night as I was reading Volume One aloud with Jay (the wonderful man I am dating and a newbie to the Volumes!), Anne mentions her suffering . . . and fighting the urge to complain about it. Jay stopped me mid-sentence and said he was still thinking about suffering in human terms.  He didn't see it as something he wanted to be joyful about just yet.  My response?  Oh, you will once we get through the Volumes!  


We have two choices in life. One is to complain, worry, become anxious or angry. The second option is to offer our suffering for the sake of others salvation.  But what about me, right?  I deserve to have my suffering subside.  My anguish, my hurt, my loneliness, my pain. I want to feel better.  Well, my friends, if we wallow in our pitiful state, how can we ever live Jesus? How will we ever lead those in darkness to His Light?  Suffering in humility for the sake of others is one of the most unselfish acts I know of.  Can you think of Someone who did this with unconditional love for all of God's children?  It's the least we can do for Him.  

In todays first reading (Jer 14:17-22), it seems God, during our suffering, is ignoring or has abandoned us.  What we don't see is His use of our suffering for eventual good:  

Why have you struck us a blow that cannot be healed? We wait for peace, to no avail; for a time of healing, but terror comes instead. We recognize, O LORD, our wickedness, the guilt of our fathers; that we have sinned against you. For your name's sake spurn us not, disgrace not the throne of your glory; remember your covenant with us, and break it not. Among the nations' idols is there any that gives rain? Or can the mere heavens send showers? Is it not you alone, O LORD, our God, to whom we look? You alone have done all these things.
In Volume One, Anne describes the importance of suffering for others:


“But our suffering is buying precious graces, graces that can be used for suffering souls, sinning souls, hardened souls, dying souls, souls in error, in ignorance, souls being victimized, abused. Souls on the brink of hell can be brought back with our sufferings. We’re trading them in for graces. The Blessed Mother, the Mediatrix of All Grace, takes our little offerings and uses them to buy mercy for souls, despite the horrendous behavior of us in this modern world. Let me put it this way. There is an alcoholic. He is steeped in sin, both with regard to this addiction and in general. Recovering alcoholics will tell you they got a tap on the shoulder at some point and their life changed. They were given the eyes to see their addiction, their selfishness, their sinfulness. They then got sober and became some of the greatest servants of Christ. Truly motivated now, these humble souls commit themselves to helping others to see. Where did the grace come from, to get them the tap on the shoulder? From our suffering, united to the Passion of Jesus. Think of Saul, getting bounced from his horse. Think of your own conversion. Did you ever sin? Were you, for a time, in the state of mortal sin? I was. Someone suffered for me, and the Blessed Mother came and collected me.”


Lay apostles, it takes practice. Start with something small and offer it up.  Stub your toe on the corner of the bed in the morning?  Don't start screaming waking up the entire household, offer it up.  A job fell through you were counting on? Persevere another day and offer it up. The more we practice, the greater the number of souls being saved.  


Thank you, Lord, for teaching me, through Scripture and the Volumes, the value of suffering. I will accept anything you send my way.


God bless,
Bonnie 





No comments: