Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Seeking Beauty

Happy Independence Day to all those in the U.S.!  My day began volunteering at the local soup kitchen at 9:00 a.m. with a good friend in tow.  It is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. My uncle had been homeless most his life and when we reunited he and my mother after 40 years apart, I became part of a world I never understood. But today was very special.  I felt I was where I needed to be, serving others. From the gentleman complaining he wanted another piece of chicken (Louise, who runs the cafe, said absolutely not until all were fed!) to the beautiful faces of the children playing with the plastic toy fruit wanting to take my order, overwhelmed me with joy.  Watching the other volunteers speak with kindness to the elderly, get food orders out quickly, and share a few laughing moments with each other was a site to witness.  When you look closely, it's easy to see the good in every human being . . . even the guy insisting one piece of chicken was not enough!

Todays Gospel (Amos 5:14-15,21-24) is right on target after a morning of service:



Seek good and not evil, that you may live; Then truly will the LORD, the God of hosts, be with you as you claim! Hate evil and love good, and let justice prevail at the gate; Then it may be that the LORD, the God of hosts, will have pity on the remnant of Joseph.
In Anne a lay apostle's book Climbing the Mountain, she shows us the importance of serving others as a prerequisite to comfort in heaven:

"Joy in service is really the opposite of selfishness. Moving further away from that negative pole, joy in service is living for the soul and not the body, or living for God and not self. Perhaps I belabor this point. I do so because it is fundamental Christianity and this point is what will eventually allow us to be at home in heaven. This point is what will push us up the mountain like a strong wind at our backs. Service to others is the beginning of freedom from self-gratification."

Lay apostles, let go of selfishness and serve.  Whether it be within your own family, workplace or a soup kitchen, serve others with joy.  And, with no expectations of service in return.  

Thank you, Lord, for the many opportunities to love Your children here on earth in preparation of eternal joy in heaven.

God bless,
Bonnie 

No comments: