Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Time For Harmony

When people criticize and judge, does it really do any good to further His Kingdom?  Harsh statements, no matter how true, can cut to the quick. A few months ago I attended a meeting with local Catholics uniting to learn about defending religious freedom.  It was informative, motivating and established a camaraderie among the participants.  During discussion of abortion and the HHS mandate, an elderly man I know well interjected loudly that all women who have had abortions should be excommunicated from the Catholic Church.  The speaker graciously acknowledged him and moved on.  But it wasn't enough for this man.  He wanted the speaker to agree with his statement and continued to argue.  The speaker acknowledged him one last time stating he was not sure about the Church's view and he was not one to pass judgement.  Those of you who read my blog know I had an abortion when I was 18. And, I knew for a fact another woman in the room had experienced the same thing as I heard her speak of her abortion at a Magnificat meeting years ago.  Every ounce of my being wanted to stand up and say to this man, who has known me for a few years, that I was one of those women and I didn't think Jesus would want me excommunicated.  Just the opposite as a matter of fact.  I believe my mistake years ago and the lessons I have learned can lead others to choosing life, making better decisions for the precious gift within. Walk a mile in my shoes, right? 

In todays Gospel (Matthew 10:1-7) Jesus is telling us not to waste our time while on this earth:

Jesus sent out these Twelve after instructing them thus, "Do not go into pagan territory or enter a Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, make this proclamation: 'The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.'"
In Anne a lay apostle's book Whispers From the Cross, she eloquently tells us to focus on our own path:


"It is often not enough for us to follow the path that the Lord has marked out for us.  We tend to also examine the paths of others and rather than seeing other paths as authentically belonging to others, we see them as flawed because they do not perfectly match our own. While this is obviously wrong, perhaps it is not always malicious.  Perhaps it is part of the limitation of our humanity and consequent short-sightedness.


That stated, we are all asked to extend ourselves beyond our humanity and I believe that in order for the renewal to advance, we must all make a heroic effort to acknowledge in our hearts and words and actions, that if we desire unity, will have to adjust the way we view others."


Lay apostles, focus on becoming united with fellow Christians, not on the inadequacies of their choices in life.  Choose similarities over differences.  Instead of creating angst in a woman who has chosen abortion in the past, help her heal.  Drive others closer to Christ with love and forgiveness.  Leave judgement up to Him.  It is time for harmony.


Thank you, Lord, for forgiving my inadequacies and poor choices.  Use my mistakes to lead others to Your Sacred Heart.  


God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: