Monday, July 9, 2012

I Love You This Much

My favorite movie of all time is The Mirror Has Two Faces with Barbra Streisand and Jeff Bridges.  It's about basing a relationship on compatibility, not chemistry and sex.  It's about being best friends first.  Rose (Barbra Streisand) has a great line at the beginning of the movie:  "I tell you what I envy about people in love - I'd love it if someone knew me, I mean really knew me. What I like, what I'm afraid of, what kind of toothpaste I use."  We all desire perfect love, don't we? To know another person has your back . . . always. My best friends Joyce and Paul are one of those couples.  Not that life has been a piece of cake for them.  But they really know each other and best of all, their relationship centers around God and living their faith . . . together.  They set the bar high in my eyes. I will accept nothing less in my future. 


My beautiful friends Paul and Joyce after my grandson's Baptism

My beautiful family!

Todays first reading is from Hosea (2:16, 17c-18, 21-22) where God is describing His great love for each of us, as if a husband speaking to his wife:

I will espouse you to me forever: I will espouse you in right and in justice, in love and in mercy; I will espouse you in fidelity, and you shall know the LORD.


In Volume Two, the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, He has this to say about love of your spouse:



"Be attentive to your earthly spouse. Consider your marriage as the primary consideration for every decision you make. I have given you your spouse so that you can lead each other to heaven and help each other obtain a higher degree of holiness than you could have obtained without the participation in this sacramental union. So always view your marriage as a holy covenant, in which I participate. If you do this, My children, I will have no more concerns about families, because your children will be honored and loved, as I intended them to be."



Lay apostles, love each other.  If you are married, do as Jesus instructs above. If you are single, expect this behavior from a potential partner.  Do not accept anything less than a relationship with Christ in the center.  Life can be grand and burdens lightened with love of the ultimate Spouse.


Thank you, Lord, for showing me Christ-centered marriages exist and flourish. I am so grateful for the hope Paul and Joyce have demonstrated proving true love starts with You! 


God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: