Wednesday, May 16, 2012

There's A Reason

Four daughters, a challenging wife, a station wagon, and summer vacation . . . what's a father to do?  My father's answer? Pile everyone in the car and start driving. Childhood adventures with my family usually took place in our home state of Florida.  There was the Ringling Museum in Sarasota where one of my sisters participated in a clown school; beautiful sandy beaches with turquoise waves splashing around our feet; trips to NASA in Cocoa Beach to see shuttle launches; and, many trips to DisneyWorld.  But one place stands out as I reminisce about the good times, Spook Hill.  I'm not sure if it was an accidental discovery on one of our road trips, but it was sure memorable.  Spook Hill awaits thrill seekers in Lake Wales, Florida, even to this day.  The optical illusion begins as you put your car in neutral and gravity pulls your car uphill.  Now, as a kid, this was very exciting! But also a bit frightening as you imagine spirits manipulating your vehicle. My father, comic that he was, exaggerated his reaction to the phenomena after reading the legend of Spook Hill (http://www.lakewaleschamber.com/index.phpoption=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=30) on the sign right before the white line where you shift into neutral and begin the eerie uphill climb.  With childlike innocence, I believed my father as I watched out the back window of the car!  


In todays first reading (Acts 17:15, 22-18:1) Paul is preaching the Good News to the Athenians, who all seem to be believers . . .until he speaks of the Resurrection: 


Since therefore we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the divinity is like an image fashioned from gold, silver, or stone by human art and imagination. God has overlooked the times of ignorance, but now he demands that all people everywhere repent because he has established a day on which he will 'judge the world with justice' through a man he has appointed, and he has provided confirmation for all by raising him from the dead."

When they heard about resurrection of the dead, some began to scoff, but others said, "We should like to hear you on this some other time." And so Paul left them. But some did join him, and became believers. 
As adults, we tend to "scoff" at things our mind assumes an impossibility.  We learn about gravity which jades our view of Spook Hill.  But Jesus walked the face of this earth.  He suffered, died and rose again. If you think about the Book of Acts and all the apostles endured, do you really believe these men would subject themselves to such torture and ridicule for nothing? Just as I believed in my father, our Creator wants us to believe in Him. 
In Volume Three, God the Father gently but firmly warns us of the importance of union with Him now:

“As a God of mercy, I send all manner of signs and warnings. In this time, however, most of My signs are being ignored. Such is the level of distraction, that My souls no sooner see a sign and experience My call, then they allow themselves to be distracted and pulled back into the world. Children, pay attention. You must focus on Me and on your path. You must be disciplined if you are to remain on the path to salvation. And believe Me when I say that all other roads lead nowhere. My children belong with each other, loving Me. Hear My call of love, now, while I can offer you a soft and gentle transition to holiness. There is coming a time, as you have been told, when the transition will only be possible with violence. It will be a shock to you if you do not respond now. Children, if you are not following My words, if you are not united with Me, if you do not acknowledge and respect My dominion over both you and your world, you are going to be uncomfortable and frightened. These times are over. My time is coming. There will be gladness, it is true. It is what My children have prayed for. But change is difficult for those without a firm understanding and belief in the next world.”

Personally, I try not to ignore the signs.  When I begin to feel frightened, I focus on Him.  He pulls me through even the most devastating circumstances.  Lay apostles, read and reread Scripture, the Volumes, and anything else you can get your hands on to draw you closer to Christ. Instead of being uncomfortable and frightened, choose pure childlike belief in God. He will never lead you astray.
Thank you, Lord, for continuing to pry my eyes off the world always bringing them back to You. Help me to remember the feeling complete trust in You brings because it's glorious!
God bless,
Bonnie 


No comments: