Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Everything I Have To Give

Last year my oldest daughter posted an article on her Facebook page called "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior" from WSJ (Chua, 2011).  She tagged me in it saying she never knew I was part Chinese.  To say the least, I was strict.  But, slightly more flexible than the Chinese mothers described. I did let them have sleepovers . . . they are lucky this article didn't come out while still under my roof! 


As a mother, I always want what's best for my children. I want them to be faithful, safe, happy and successful.  There is no sacrifice too daunting. I am their biggest cheerleader and the dreaded voice of reason. I am not afraid to tell them the truth, even when I know it's not what they want to hear. And this doesn't stop because my girls are adults now.  If I don't continue imparting wisdom to my children throughout their lives, who do you think will?  The media? Movie stars?  Being a parent requires everything I have to give. And I give it freely for my girls. Always have, always will.  One thing is certain . . . the blood, sweat and tears we sacrifice for our children should also be the blood, sweat and tears we sacrifice for Jesus.  


In contemplating todays Gospel (Acts 20:17-27), St. Paul sums up how our time here on earth should be spent:


From Miletus Paul had the presbyters of the Church at Ephesus summoned. When they came to him, he addressed them, "You know how I lived among you the whole time from the day I first came to the province of Asia. I served the Lord with all humility and with the tears and trials that came to me because of the plots of the Jews, and I did not at all shrink from telling you what was for your benefit, or from teaching you in public or in your homes. I earnestly bore witness for both Jews and Greeks to repentance before God and to faith in our Lord Jesus. But now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem. What will happen to me there I do not know, except that in one city after another the Holy Spirit has been warning me that imprisonment and hardships await me. Yet I consider life of no importance to me, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to bear witness to the Gospel of God's grace.


In Anne a lay apostle’s book Lessons in Love, she speaks of necessary sacrifices which lead us to our Savior:

“God is all love so He can only love, but we, as His apostles, provide for Jesus so many sources of grace obtained and drawn from our sacrifices and our efforts to align our wills to His. God draws from our holiness to convert others. It is all about love expressing itself in commitment and ongoing sacrifice to the commitment. We must be like Jesus, the Lover, who exhibits the perfect willingness to suffer for His beloved ones, even at the hands of those beloved ones. I am saying that we must be willing to accept hurt from others in order to preserve and further the bonds and teach others about love. An apostle must try to develop the following attitude toward those around him:

I am willing to accept your imperfect version of love in order to encourage you to keep trying and to teach you about love. I am willing to return heaven’s version of love, regardless of what you give to me in the way of love, so that you can see what pure love looks like. This is what Jesus does for me and as such I must become more and more willing to do this for others.

This returning of pure love for imperfect love, will, with God’s grace and even the smallest measure of good will in others, gradually elevate our relationships higher and higher until our relationships begin to more closely resemble the relationships between the saints in heaven. What a wonderful goal for us all.”

Lay apostles, take an extra step toward Jesus.  Don't have time to pray the Rosary today?  Take 5 minutes and pray one decade.  Usually forget to give thanks before placing any food in your mouth?  Remember today.  Not attending Mass every Sunday?  Start attending. Jesus is fully aware we cannot become saints overnight.  Give Him everything you have to give . . . starting now. 


Thank you, Lord, for showing me that being a good parent directly correlates with being a good Christian.  Help me continue to love and guide my children, grandchildren, and all those You place in my life directly to Your Sacred Heart.


God bless,
Bonnie


Link to the article mentioned above: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754.html

No comments: