Thursday, May 31, 2012

As Good As It Gets

Today we celebrate the Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Mary travelled to the town of Judah where her older cousin Elizabeth (six months pregnant) and husband Zechariah lived. Her compassion and love for her cousin drew her to Elizabeth's side to assist with the difficulties of pregnancy and childbirth. This journey took place after Mary was visited by the angel and told she would be carrying our Savior. If you pray the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary, you know this line well when Elizabeth hears Mary's greeting upon her arrival: "Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.” 


One morning in early December 2011, I sat on my back patio praying the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary.  My oldest daughter was six months pregnant at the time.  My middle daughter and her husband were patiently trying conceive for almost a year. When I got to the second Joyful Mystery when Mary visited Elizabeth, I knew.  My middle daughter was pregnant. She lives close to me and we work out together during the week.  That day, when she arrived for our daily routine, I told her about the Rosary and that I was sure she was pregnant.  Being the skeptic she is, she told me she wasn't getting her hopes up.  But her faith is strong and she was ready to accept any outcome as God's Will.  About a week before Christmas, I received a text with a picture of a positive pregnancy test! And, she is now seven months pregnant with my second grandson. This, my friends, is as good as it gets. If we say "yes" to Christ and believe as our Blessed Mother and Elizabeth did, miracles can happen! 


Todays first reading (Romans 12:9-16) is printing as I write this. Basically, rules for living the Christian life on the path to heaven:
Brothers and sisters: Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; anticipate one another in showing honor. Do not grow slack in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the holy ones, exercise hospitality. Bless those who persecute you, bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Have the same regard for one another; do not be haughty but associate with the lowly; do not be wise in your own estimation.
In Anne a lay apostle’s book The Mist of Mercy, she defines the mercy of God for any sinner willing to live their life in humility for His Son.  It all starts with you:

“Think small steps and the Lord will do big things. Do not avoid your role in the renewal because you have sinned. If you are repentant, you are just the type of person needed. One who comes to God in humility can be restored to purity in an instant. God has no difficulty in forgiving a repentant sinner. It is far more difficult for God to deal with a person who serves heaven but takes all the credit. It is God who grants holiness, after all. It is God who performs miracles.”

Miracles are happening all around us.  Sometimes we get caught up in our own chaotic lives and become jaded. We forget to slow down and look for the blessings.  Today, lay apostles, stop for a minute and write a list of all the positives in your life.  Forget the negatives for a minute.  Take that list and post it somewhere convenient to view every day.  Even add to the list as new miracles and blessings occur.  When you are having a rough day, look at that list.  When you are having a wonderful day, add to it.  Soon you will be focusing a majority of your time looking for the blessings instead of letting them pass right by. You will begin to see Jesus more clearly and the impact He can have on your life. 

Thank you, Lord, for the miracles and blessings you have bestowed on my family and me. Focusing on the good sure beats dwelling on the bad!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: