Friday, May 4, 2012

Just One of Those Days

Stacks of mail sit staring at me.  One month's worth to be exact.  Piles I have shifted to several locations since I got back home Tuesday. Overwhelmed would be a good word to describe how I feel trying to get my life and house back in order after an extended absence.  A few nights ago as I attempted to conquer the mighty beasts (well . . . there were TWO stacks!), I received a phone call from a close, dear friend.  Another health issue was diagnosed, adding to a cancer diagnosis made months ago.  He bravely spoke of how he was at peace with it all.  After we hung up, my heart ached.  Overwhelming sadness and fear erupted when I looked at the stacks of mail beckoning me.  I couldn't stop the tears for a good ten minutes as reality repeatedly slapped me. I was missing my daughter and grandson. I was worried for my friend. And a whole slew of other issues began surfacing.  I don't have very many of these moments, but it seems they always occur when I tuck my emotions away behind my tough exterior.  Later that night I called my friend to make sure he was truly ok with everything.  He assured me he was.  Then my emotions started to pour out to him. As a daily reader of my blog, he gave me some of my own advice.  To focus on today, not the past or future.  And, fear is not an emotion from God.  Guess I better reread my previous posts!  


Todays Gospel (John 14:1-6) couldn't have been timed any better:


Jesus said to his disciples: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. Where I am going you know the way." Thomas said to him, "Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

In the March 2011 Monthly Message, Jesus suggests we closely examine all which deprives our souls of peace:

“Be at peace, dear apostles. I urge you to strive daily to be at peace. All that surrounds you will benefit from your understanding that while the world changes, God remains the same. I am the same. I am with you and the reason I urge you toward a peaceful countenance is because the enemy of peace sows fear in God's children. You may think that I am asking you to be at peace but that this is too difficult. Dear friend of My heart, consider for a moment. What diminishes your peace? Which people? Which habits? Which activities? Ask yourself why these people or things diminish your peace? You must find these answers in contemplation of Me and contemplation of heavenly concepts. Only then will you be able to readily identify the contrast between the feeling of peace that heaven offers to you and the feeling of agitation that the world offers to you.”

Fear of the unknown deprives us of peace.  But if we trust in Christ, the unknown is in His Hands, right?  Reality is a piece of cake when I remember He knows my needs and wants.  I just need to do a better job of letting Him paddle the boat!  I am forever grateful to my friend for reminding me to live fully what I believe in.   Although I may need reminders every now and then! 

Thank you, Lord, for surrounding me with so much love and support from family and friends. They supply me with all I need for "just one of those days!"

God bless,
Bonnie

P.S.  What kind of grammie would I be if I didn't post a pic of my first grandson!  Seeing his beautiful face is enough to calm any of my fears!
Best 50th birthday present ever! 
  

No comments: