Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Service Without Recognition

Have you ever had anyone take credit for your hard work?  What about praise given to those contributing mediocre effort while you have given your all and received none?  Presuming it's happened to most of us at some point, it's tough feeling unappreciated. Our initial instinct is to make the "praiser" aware of our labors.  Let them know we are due the notoriety. But this is where we get it wrong as Christians. Humility is what Jesus preaches, not seeking approval and praise. I highly recommend reading the Litany of Humility on a daily basis.  I posted it here: http://ftmyerslayapostles.blogspot.com/2011/12/difficult-request-from-our-lord.html
Reading it every day strengthens my commitment of service to Him, not the world.  


In todays Gospel (Mark 10:32-45), James and John are seeking a little recognition for their own efforts.  They ask Jesus, "Grant that in Your glory we may sit one at Your right and the other at Your left." You can imagine the other ten apostles were a tad bit upset with the two men asking for something they all felt worthy of.  Being the Divine Teacher Jesus is, He uses this opportunity to educate His apostles:

"You know that those who are recognized as rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones make their authority over them felt. But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all. For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

In the May 2009 Monthly Message, Jesus continues to teach us of service to the Kingdom:

“How often have I called you ‘My little apostles’? Have I ever called you ‘My big apostles’? Why do you think it is that I call you ‘little’? I will tell you. It is because each apostle, by his desire to serve, becomes little. He becomes little so that God can be glorified. If a person is serving Me, that person desires only My glory. If a person is serving Me, he desires to be seen as a servant of men, not as a master of men. In the case of leaders, this desire for humility must be even more pronounced lest the leader begin to believe that he himself is leading, as opposed to My great hope which is that I, Jesus, am leading through the man. I intend to send leaders during this time. You will know them by their spirit of service. You will know them by their humility. You will know them because they will help you to think of Me and what I need from you. No man is entitled to the glory reserved for God.”

Lay apostles, I know how disheartening lack of appreciation can feel. It hurts. It makes me question my motives. So now I ask myself in all situations, am I doing this for the Glory of God? "Yes" is always the correct answer. I must say a "no" sneaks in once in a while. I'm only human.  I can choose to be sad and depressed because I'm not recognized.  Or, I can live and serve in humility, waiting for my reward in heaven.  I choose the latter.  Not the easiest choice, but "I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength." (Phil 4:13)

Thank you, Lord, for showing me the value of service to others. Give me the strength I need to fight the temptation of wanting recognition from the world.  Feel free to continue nudging me back into place when I go there!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: