Monday, May 14, 2012

Stand Up and Be Quiet

Sometimes I can have the best intentions, and the wrong words come out of my mouth.  Well, wrong for the intended party.  Remembering everybody's faith journey is not always where mine is escapes my aging brain at times. Words which provide comfort to me can easily be disregarded by others as hogwash, or, something they haven't experienced and therefore don't understand. It can be so frustrating trying to do the right thing with an unintended outcome. This is not unique to me.  Here is a piece of the Gospel (John 15:18-21) from Saturday: 
Jesus said to his disciples: "If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you. Remember the word I spoke to you, 'No slave is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. And they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know the one who sent me."
Words to live by and survive on a daily basis!  In todays first reading (Acts 1:15-17, 20-26) the apostles are looking for the 12th to replace Judas. They had narrowed it down to two men.  I couldn't help but think about how Justus felt after the lots were cast:
Therefore, it is necessary that one of the men who accompanied us the whole time the Lord Jesus came and went among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day on which he was taken up from us, become with us a witness to his resurrection." So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. Then they prayed, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this apostolic ministry from which Judas turned away to go to his own place." Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the Eleven Apostles.
I imagine two different scenarios going on in Justus' mind after Matthias was chosen.  First, he could have been thinking, "Gosh!  I followed Jesus the entire time Matthias did.  What did I do wrong?  Why am I not the chosen one?" Then he would proceed to proclaim to the others his good deeds.  Second scenario, "Thank you, Lord, for choosing Matthias as he is a good man.  I am honored I was even considered for the job.  I will humbly continue to praise Your name."  I think he stood up and was quiet.  What do you think?
In the March 2011 Monthly Message, Jesus describes how to stand up and be quiet for Him:

“The Spirit within you directs you to quiet, even in the midst of what might necessarily be a busy life. If you work from Me, you will retain your peace in activity and interaction with others because you will be giving and receiving Me. When you are with someone who is unable to accept My love, My love will surround that person until that person can receive it and you will not have wasted love because My love blesses you even as it moves through you. By working from Me, you are disciplining yourself to remain peaceful because I am peace. I am calm. I am love. How often I ask you to provide the world with a contrast and it is in remaining peaceful that you will do so. Be alert to My presence and you will spread peace.”

Today, lay apostles, stand up for Jesus humbly.  Speak His words with love and calm.  For only our Savior knows your true intent and He will use those good intentions to His benefit.

Thank you, Lord, for the continued lessons in humility and grace.  I think I'm finally getting the hang of it!

God bless,
Bonnie








No comments: