Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Worldly Distractions

Hypocrites. Such a strong word . . . a character trait to stay far away from. Here is Bing.com's definition:

Somebody feigning high principles: somebody who pretends to have admirable principles, beliefs, or feelings but behaves otherwise.

We all know someone like this or have even been one ourselves. As much as God is #1 in my life, I am and will always be a work in progress. My faith journey through this mission has taught me the importance of living the messages of Jesus and all of heaven. I admit I am far from perfect in executing this task. So when my passion flares (hey, I am part Italian with some Viking thrown in!) for situations I feel strongly about, some think my response is unloving and not "Christlike." I'm going to let you all in on a little secret . . . Christians are not perfect. I will never be perfect. As Anne a lay apostle says, we are all imperfect beings. I have always tried my best to be kind, humble and loving. I look back on moments of being criticized now and know Jesus was/is toughening me up . . . to fight even harder for Him on a daily basis. He was/is teaching me humility and strength of character. He is leading me to a calmer, peaceful existence I never knew possible (thank God He blessed me with my amazing husband Jay!). Remember each of us is on a unique journey toward heaven. It may not always look the way we think it should. Instead, take a look inward and make a change in the only place we can . . . ourselves.

Today's Gospel (Matthew 23:27-32) teaches us to make sure the outside = the inside:

Jesus said, “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside, you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the memorials of the righteous, and you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have joined them in shedding the prophets’ blood.’ Thus you bear witness against yourselves that you are the children of those who murdered the prophets; now fill up what your ancestors measured out!”

In Anne a lay apostle's book Lessons in Love, she gives a good example of why we must not generalize:

"Next, perhaps the searcher will ask the Lord to reveal His presence in the soul of another person, one who loves as Jesus loves, one who seeks Christ as the searcher seeks Christ, with an open heart and in truth. These apostles are everywhere, awaiting the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Jesus will connect the one who seeks Him to holy fellowship when the time is right and persuade the searcher that while all Christians are human, all Christians are not hypocrites. This strategy for truly understanding what one is rejecting, seeks Christ in three ways: in Holy Scripture, in the Eucharist and ongoing life of the Church, and in other faithful Christians. These are good places to look for Jesus because He truly lives and ministers to us from these three places each day if we seek Him."

Lay apostles, strive to be an example of His Love and Truth. Look for the good. The human side of me sees what is going on in the world and yearns to respond accordingly. It's so easy to be distracted by the falsities. But when I take a moment to see through His Eyes, it is a much different view. I know I can't rescue everyone . . . but I can pray God blesses and protects them.

Thank you, Lord, for building my spiritual muscles over the last 13 years and the loving nudges when I look through my own eyes . . . not Yours.

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: