Thursday, August 8, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Keys to the Kingdom

Right now I am sitting next to my 7-year-old grandson while he plays a Hot Wheels video game on my iPad so I can check emails and contemplate the Gospel today . . . not an easy thing to do since he gets frustrated when he either crashes his car or his competition is beating him. This happens about every 30 seconds . . . I don't know why my car is going so slow!!! . . . The other car keeps beating me! . . . Oh, c'mon, my car keeps dying! My response? You are learning each new track and you always make it to the next level! You are doing great, buddy!  His response? No, Mimi! I'm not very good!  Then, within about 30 seconds of that response from him, I hear . . . I beat him, Mimi!! Look! I took 1st place!

We all need just a little more faith in ourselves and Jesus, don't we? Think about the faith Peter had to have when Jesus bestowed upon him "the keys to the Kingdom of heaven!" Kind of a heavy load, but with his faith secure in Christ, he knew he could do it. Most importantly, Jesus knew he could do it.

In today's Gospel (Matthew 16:13-19) Jesus shows us how faith in Him leads us to the gates of heaven:

When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply,  “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” 

In Anne a lay apostle's new book Suspended in Mystery, she consoles my heart knowing Jesus provides constant companionship:

"Jesus attempts to restore us to Christian homeostasis. He restores our peace, trust, and confidence in our place in the Kingdom as we bring about greater graces for the world through our adoration of him and our companionship with him. He offers graces to the world in an explosive response to our adoration of him in the eucharist."

Lay apostles, have faith in Christ as He has faith in you. He wants every one of us to strive for heaven, no matter the frustrations along the way. Keep persevering, my friends! He will lead us home!

Thank you, Lord, for the blessings of my beautiful grandchildren and the lessons in faith they provide when I least expect it!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: