Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Change with Jesus

Don't ask me why the song "Changes" by David Bowie came to mind after reading the Gospel today (Matthew 18:1-5, 10, 12-14)! As I sit here contemplating the words below spoken by Christ, my thoughts are overwhelmed with our grandchildren . . . especially our youngest additions (both about to turn 5 next month)! The first child is definitely a big change . . . but the second child, well, it's all about time management. Change is good. Upon occasion, the changes we need to make elicit groans of growing pains . . . getting out of our comfort zone to become wiser, holier. Changes Jesus asks of us require being childlike, not childish. It's time, lay apostles, to see our faith through the eyes of a child. It's time to change behaviors which lead us away from Christ.

Gospel:

The disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?” He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.”

In Anne a lay apostle's new book, Suspended in Mystery, a message from Jesus directs us in smooth transitions during times of change:

"I want to offer a promise to everyone who desires a relationship with me. My promise is this: I will thin your perception of distance between us. If you want to have a relationship with me that is intimate and constant, I will help you to remain disposed toward me. This is the time to rely on me. If you are struggling, then this is your answer. Come into a closer relationship with me, which I will support, and you will come to know me in a way that changes your perspective of your struggles and fills you with hope. I want this for you. Do you want this for you? Do you want this for me? Talk to me in your heart about your worries and hopes and I will show you how to change your life if it needs to change."

Lay apostles, change can be scary! Questions of doubt will swirl. What is our life going to be like if we change this behavior or that behavior? How are others going to judge the "new" me? Can I handle the change? Can I stick to the change? The answer to all of the above is "yes!" We can do anything through Christ who is our strength!

Thank you, Lord, for the perseverance to fight through changes in my life. I feel secure knowing Your Hands are lovingly redirecting when necessary!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: