Friday, August 9, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Suffering with Hope

Suffering is inevitable. Each of us has suffered in one way or another. It's how we handle the suffering as we experience it that sets us apart from either a life of hope or of despair. Despair is defined as the complete loss or absence of hope. Despair sees no end to the suffering; it sees others at fault instead of looking within; it sees no Jesus by your side to navigate the course. Hope, on the other hand, means a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen; a feeling of trust. If we trust Jesus as much as we say we do, this is a no brainer. I'm not saying this is easy, just clearly defined in my eyes. If you are suffering, have hope. Hope that things will get better; hope that lessons being taught are learned; hope in being Face to face with Our Beloved Savior one day. For me, I want to hear Him say I suffered with hope the day I finally go home.

In today's Gospel (Matthew 16:24-28), Jesus asks us to endure suffering on earth in His Name and our reward will be great in heaven:

Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay each according to his conduct. Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.”

In Anne a lay apostle's new book Suspended in Mystery, she clearly defines how to move past suffering:

"It is natural to live gratitude and love when you know Christ. But the sufferings which come, that is, the ever-changing external environments must be negotiated honestly. We must not deny suffering or its impact. rather, we practice overcoming the negative effects it can have on our hope."

Lay apostles, how do you endure suffering? Loneliness? Tragedy? I used to try to handle it alone. Now, I couldn't do it without Him. Maybe it's my age . . . but I sure wish I would have had the Volumes/Anne's books 40 years ago. I don't think I would have suffered so despairingly in my younger years.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me about true suffering and letting go of insignificant inconveniences. I haven't perfected it yet, but I am learning!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: