Monday, August 12, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Half-Truths

A few weeks ago I was reading "It's True" to my grandson (a Little Critter book series he LOVES!). Little Critter tells "half-truths" and his little sister calls him out every time. Then he tells a half-truth to his classmates . . . oh boy! Little Critter decides half-truths are actually lying. After reading the book, I asked my grandson what the lesson was . . . he said, "don't lie to anyone and not in front of my sister!" Out of the mouths of babes, right? Makes me immediately think of the #FakeNews displayed on just about every news channel. Partial truths are not the complete story. What has happened to true journalistic reporting? The successful news programs are the ones digging into the real truth. And, giving us explanations of what is really happening . . . what the truth means. The best news program with the most accurate reporting is YourVoiceAmerica.tv. The host, Bill Mitchell (Twitter: @mitchellvii) makes sense of the craziness for me. I rarely watch TV news anymore. So, as Little Critter learns, lying only provides temporary satisfaction and eventually, the truth comes out. My prayer is all the #FakeNews becomes #RealNews soon!

In today's Gospel (Matthew 17:22-27), Jesus teaches us honesty and integrity:

As Jesus and his disciples were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is to be handed over to men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day.” And they were overwhelmed with grief.

When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the temple tax approached Peter and said, “Does not your teacher pay the temple tax?” “Yes,” he said. When he came into the house, before he had time to speak, Jesus asked him, “What is your opinion, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take tolls or census tax? From their subjects or from foreigners?” When he said, “From foreigners,” Jesus said to him, “Then the subjects are exempt. But that we may not offend them, go to the sea, drop in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up. Open its mouth and you will find a coin worth twice the temple tax. Give that to them for me and for you.”

In Volume Four, God the Father gives His Children good advice:

"Children, if you are not following My words, if you are not united with Me, if you do not acknowledge and respect My dominion over both you and your world, you are going to be uncomfortable and frightened. These times are over. My time is coming. There will be gladness, it is true. It is what My children have prayed for. But change is difficult for those without a firm understanding and belief in the next world. If you were asked to hand your life to Me this day, and account for it fully, how would you feel? Would you feel calm? Would you feel confident that while you have made mistakes, you have done your best and can offer Me a fair trade for your eternal reward? Could you even say, “God, I have wasted much of My time here on earth but I see that you are the Creator and I bow before you?” That is all that is necessary for your salvation, child, but you are going to wish that you had a small bit of something to give Me. You might give Me your years parenting your children. You might offer Me your service in your job or your obedience and respect for your parents. You might give Me your patience with sickness or depression. You might say, “God, I have risen every day and tried not to be dishonest or hurtful to others, despite my pain and misery.” To all of these things, and to nearly every life that holds dignity and some measure of effort to be honest, I will say, “Welcome. Well done. It is over now and you are safe and loved.” I will hold you against Me and heal all of your wounds and pain. You will be lovingly prepared to enter into the Kingdom. Children, do not be afraid of leaving this world and entering the next. I will be there, waiting to receive each one of you."

Lay apostles, how are you going to conduct yourself today? Life is short. Let's not waste any time with telling half-truths!

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of the Gospels. Help me to focus on truth and dignity in Your Name!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: