Monday, August 26, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: What is Your Focus?

As I contemplate what to write this morning, my thoughts are scattered. I have to keep repeating "FOCUS" to myself every time I get distracted. How ironic today’s Gospel is all about focusing on what is good for us spiritually. I am always open to what He sends my way to help me grow in humility, service, and love. Last year, Jay and I participated in a Bible study about the Psalms, a course taught by Jeff Cavins and Tim Gray. My biggest takeaway from the Psalms? That the Psalmists experienced the same issues we face today.  Part of the Psalms speak of overcoming fear by placing full trust in God, not an easy task at times.  And most importantly, praise and thank Him for everything, good and even the not so good. I must focus on changing hearts by spreading kindness in place of judgment; love instead of hatred; to serve rather than be served. When the focus is taken off of me and directed toward others, I accomplish just a small part of His Will for me on earth in that moment.

What is your focus? Todays Gospel (Matthew 23:13-22) makes it very clear:

Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You lock the Kingdom of heaven before men. You do not enter yourselves, nor do you allow entrance to those trying to enter.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You traverse sea and land to make one convert, and when that happens you make him a child of Gehenna twice as much as yourselves.

“Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘If one swears by the temple, it means nothing, but if one swears by the gold of the temple, one is obligated.’ Blind fools, which is greater, the gold, or the temple that made the gold sacred? And you say, ‘If one swears by the altar, it means nothing, but if one swears by the gift on the altar, one is obligated.’ You blind ones, which is greater, the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? One who swears by the altar swears by it and all that is upon it; one who swears by the temple swears by it and by him who dwells in it; one who swears by heaven swears by the throne of God and by him who is seated on it.”

In Volume One, Anne a lay apostle has nailed spot on how we should all practice what Jesus has been trying to teach us all along:

"Jesus asks us to focus on people’s strengths and attributes, rather than their flaws. Shining a light on someone’s good qualities is like sunshine on plants. It makes them grow. If we focus on their flaws, or negative qualities, it has the same effect in a negative way. We must practice being supportive and not critical, even in the face of the faults of others." 

Lay apostles, don't waste precious time and energy holding grudges, harboring anger, or lashing out at those closest to you. It's time. Time to make a positive change in this world by focusing on others in need. It's time to stop being the "victim" and begin actions of compassion. The more given in service to others, the more graces He rewards to heal our own woundedness.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me how to focus on the good and getting past all the old wounds and hurts. I am a work in progress, but my eyes are more in focus now!

God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: