Thursday, April 10, 2014

Lent Day 37 - Comprehend This

I am, by no means, fluent in Spanish (or any language other than English!). I can get by, understanding what is said more than I can speak it. When my oldest daughter Mallorie was studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain her junior year of college, I planned a trip to visit her over Easter break. She met me at the bus station and we walked down cobblestone roads to her host mom's flat where I would be staying a few nights. Her "senora" Maria was a single parent with a young daughter, Iris. Iris was a little shy at first. Then she started chatting away (I could understand enough of what she was saying to respond). She was describing a game she wanted me to play with her, and was using Mallorie to translate. Mallorie was not getting what she was describing correctly, and Iris would become irritated. Finally I caught on to what she was talking about . . . a game I played when I was young (where you slap hands together to a beat - a hand-slap game?). Iris could barely contain herself that I got it . . . then she said something to Mallorie in Spanish I didn't understand. Mallorie, exasperated, responded to her. I asked what she said. "Iris told me she couldn't believe my mother doesn't even speak Spanish and you understood what she was saying when I didn't!" Sometimes you just have to trust your gut and hope you are getting it right! There is a lot I can't even begin to comprehend in this life, but I trust Someone is always there to translate what I need to know!

In todays Gospel (John 8:51-59), Jesus continues to communicate who He IS:

Jesus said to the Jews: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.”  So the Jews said to him, “Now we are sure that you are possessed. Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.’ Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died?  Or the prophets, who died? Who do you make yourself out to be?”  Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ You do not know him, but I know him. And if I should say that I do not know him, I would be like you a liar. But I do know him and I keep his word.  Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad.” 
So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.


In the Monthly Message from January 2010, Jesus reminds us there is so much we don't and can't comprehend . . . so we must rely on His Guidance:

"When you become discouraged, please sit with Me and I will help you to grasp the limited nature of your vision. Concentrate on My will for your day. Concentrate on remaining in the present, connected to your service in each moment. Avoid being trapped by the past and avoid being drawn into a future on earth which may not include you. You do not know when I will come for you. But I am with you now, as you read these words, and I have work for you today. Look, together with Me, at what I am asking of you and together we will be a successful force for love. I crave love from you. When you trust Me and reject fear, I am delighted. Calm, steady service is what I require from My beloved apostles who seek to serve Me. Be at peace. I am with you."

Lay apostles, life is complicated enough as it is. So instead of trying to figure out the why's, just trust Jesus to give you what you need to know. Let Him handle the why's. When He is in control, I could care less about the why's!

Thank you, Lord, for helping me to understand You will provide me with whatever it is You need me to accomplish. Please continue to send the graces I need to let You be in control.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: