Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lent Day 30 - Earthly Pride

"If you are discouraged it is a sign of pride, because it shows you trust in your own powers. Never bother about other people's opinions. Be humble and you will never be disturbed."  Mother Theresa

We all love to talk about the accomplishments of our children (and grandchildren!). It's a natural instinct. When I became a registered nurse, you would think, according to my mom, I just won the Nobel Prize! She would tell everyone and anyone . . . to the point I would beg her to stop. It was as if going on and on about my accomplishment made her feel more important, that she had value. Earthly pride . . . the need to feel superior . . . important. Pride is exactly the opposite of what Christ asks of us. Give Him all the glory, be humble. A life lived for Him is a life full of graces and blessings. 


Todays Gospel (John 5:31-47) has a pretty powerful message . . . believe what Scriptures say:

Jesus said to the Jews:  “If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is not true. But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that the testimony he gives on my behalf is true. You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth. I do not accept human testimony, but I say this so that you may be saved. He was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light. But I have testimony greater than John’s. The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf. But you have never heard his voice nor seen his form, and you do not have his word remaining in you, because you do not believe in the one whom he has sent. You search the Scriptures, because you think you have eternal life through them; even they testify on my behalf. But you do not want to come to me to have life.

“I do not accept human praise; moreover, I know that you do not have the love of God in you.  I came in the name of my Father, but you do not accept me; yet if another comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another and do not seek the praise that comes from the only God? Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father: the one who will accuse you is Moses, in whom you have placed your hope. For if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me because he wrote about me.  But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”


In the booklet Heaven Speaks to Those Who Do Not Know Jesus, Our Lord promises love and protection . . . all we have to do is accept Him:


"My friend, this is between you and Me. By “this” I refer to both this conversation and your ultimate decision of whether to accept Me or reject Me. When you are asked to make an important decision on earth, you consider your options. You take time and weigh both sides. Perhaps you waver between one course and another. I want you to consider both sides of this decision. If you accept Me, you will have entry into the most loving and secure family of all. If you accept Me, you will have security for the rest of your life in that I will lay out the course in front of you, guiding you, protecting you, and never leaving you. If you accept Me, you will come to heaven in triumph, bringing with you the great benefits that your cooperation secured for your family. You will walk in truth and in calm. Your life on earth will not suddenly become easy, but it will be filled with God’s peace and God’s grace. If you reject Me, you will continue on, vulnerable to the deceit of My enemy. You will delude yourself at times, thinking that you are wise. Perhaps you will feel superior to many of your brothers and sisters, but I tell you today, in all of My truth, that the most humble one in heaven holds all of God’s mysteries in his soul. You will not be privy to these mystical realities if you reject Me. How could you be if you did not want to be? I conclude with one of the greatest truth of all and that is that I do not force My children to choose Me. I do not force humanity to work for heaven. If I did, we would not have a family, but a master and his slaves. No. This is not for Me and this is not for you. The heavenly Kingdom would not be the heavenly Kingdom if it were not filled with willing and beloved children. Everyone in heaven works for each other in great joy. Everyone in heaven works for our family members on earth in great hope. As you read these words, there is great hope in heaven that you will choose Me, Jesus Christ, and embark upon the journey to truth. It is here for you. I have truth and I have a course laid out for you that will bring you to this destination. I love you. I will take care of you. Choose Me and I will begin to reveal Myself to you. You will know peace, My friend."

Lay apostles, do you find yourself dropping names? Going on and on about your child's accomplishments? Feeling superior as the Pharisees demonstrate in Scripture? Or, are you on the receiving end of some who brag a little too much? Next time you feel yourself dominating a conversation with your successes or your child's successes, stop and give the other person a chance to share. Focus on listening rather than talking. Eradicate pride in exchange for humility. 

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me to listen more and talk less . . . not an easy task for this Italian!

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: