Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lent Day 35 - Be Brave

There is a reason God blessed me with daughters . . . I do not like anything slimy, slithering, or jumpy. A ferocious barking dog doesn't make me even flinch . . . but the little frogs gathering around the edge of the (uncaged) pool during the summer cause me to shriek like a little girl. A cockroach scampering across the floor can almost invoke a syncopal episode! But I have had to quiet my squeamish tendencies since Colton and Connor arrived! Three days a week with my 20 month old grandson who loves to be outside always presents itself with some kind of critter of which he has no fear. Just to give you an example, I received this picture on my phone last month:


Yes, that is a snake my grandson is holding with his brave daddy!

I shudder every time I see this picture, but it reminds me of how we must all be brave when it comes to defending our faith in Jesus Christ. It's not always easy at first, but with a little practice, it's as easy as a baby boy holding a snake around his neck without an ounce of fear! 

In todays Gospel (John 8:21-30), Jesus shows us that when we do the will of Our Heavenly Father, bravery is easy to master:

Jesus said to the Pharisees: “I am going away and you will look for me, but you will die in your sin. Where I am going you cannot come.” So the Jews said, “He is not going to kill himself, is he, because he said, ‘Where I am going you cannot come’?” He said to them, “You belong to what is below, I belong to what is above. You belong to this world, but I do not belong to this world. That is why I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins.” So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “What I told you from the beginning. I have much to say about you in condemnation. But the one who sent me is true, and what I heard from him I tell the world.” They did not realize that he was speaking to them of the Father. So Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me. The one who sent me is with me.  He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him.” Because he spoke this way, many came to believe in him.


In Volume Four, Jesus the King asks us to rely on Him when fear overcomes us:


"My brothers and sisters in this suffering world, follow My example. Be brave as your Savior was brave. When you are frightened, immerse yourself in My passion and ask yourself, “How did Jesus handle fear?” I tell you, My friends, I rested in My fears. I examined My fears closely because through that examination I discovered and reminded Myself that truly, the fear was natural, but unnecessary. My only true fear should have been that I would fail God and lose My soul through a permanent rejection of God. You, children, have seen how I lived through scripture and through the revelations I have made through many servants across the ages. What chance was there that I would have permanently rejected God? There was no chance of that, of course. My fears were groundless. And yet, I had to spend time with My fear and examine My fear so that I could come to that conclusion. Once I had come to the conclusion that I was going to serve God, and through that service to God save humanity, there was nothing left to fear. My future was decided. My path was lit up and I followed that path. From the time of My arrest I felt no uncertainty. Those holy souls who witnessed My passion would tell you that I did not rail against My fate. I did not curse God. I did not even curse humanity or My persecutors. I was the lamb. My sacrifice was perfect, both physically and mentally. Dearest brothers and sisters, whom I call as friends, you have the perfect example in Me. Follow My lead and look closely at your fears. When you have done this you will see that there is no good reason to spend time with fear and your time is much better spent consoling others, spreading My peace and Good News, and praising God, with Whom you are destined to spend eternity." 


Lay apostles, I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to have a snake wrapped around my neck or hold a slimy frog in my hands, but with Jesus, I have no fear of any circumstance presented to me. If others reject me, well, Jesus was rejected, too. If others try to hurt me, well, Jesus was brutally tortured, too. If someone tries to kill me, well, the only Perfect Man on this earth was murdered on a cross. Unite your suffering to Christ's suffering. Soon you will see there is nothing to fear.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me how to be brave where I used to fear. Continue to teach me how to look at all potential fear as an opportunity to sacrifice for You. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: