Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lent Day 31 - Patience Like Jesus

Reading the daily Gospels over the last few days leads me to one conclusion . . . poor Jesus!!! It must have been so frustrating knowing the thoughts of and hearing those who couldn't grasp He was the Son of God. This is really important for me during my Lenten journey trying to practice patience. I realize my frustrations don't even compare to what our dear Savior experienced (and continues to experience from His Children today). I probably would have been asking my Heavenly Father if I could just throw a few lightening bolts around to wake them up. But of course, that wouldn't have worked, right? I can only strive to have the patience of Jesus . . . as always, I am a work in progress! 

In todays Gospel (John 7: 1-2, 10, 25-30), Jesus continues His mission of saving souls: 


Jesus moved about within Galilee; he did not wish to travel in Judea, because the Jews were trying to kill him. But the Jewish feast of Tabernacles was near.

But when his brothers had gone up to the feast, he himself also went up, not openly but as it were in secret.

Some of the inhabitants of Jerusalem said, “Is he not the one they are trying to kill? And look, he is speaking openly and they say nothing to him. Could the authorities have realized that he is the Christ? But we know where he is from. When the Christ comes, no one will know where he is from.” So Jesus cried out in the temple area as he was teaching and said, “You know me and also know where I am from. Yet I did not come on my own, but the one who sent me, whom you do not know, is true. I know him, because I am from him, and he sent me.” So they tried to arrest him, but no one laid a hand upon him, because his hour had not yet come.


In Anne a lay apostle's book Whispers From the Cross, Jesus urges us to patience and love for one another:

"I am grateful to all who give their life to Me. My gratitude will accompany those who served me throughout their eternity. But I beg each of you to hear Me. Do you recognize the promptings of the Spirit? I will tell you how you will know. Is your heart often moved to pity? Do you find that there are times when you feel impatience and instead offer gentleness? Are you one who conducts others to peace or do you gather round and contribute condemnation when it is being levied against another? Do you talk about Me or about My enemy? Do you look out at a world in pain and see goodness or do you see darkness everywhere? Please, stop your service long enough each day to listen for My whispers from the cross. I am begging you to love each other. Very often I am rejected but I never stop loving. You must be like Me. Love, regardless of how you are repaid. I cannot force anyone to love Me, dear apostles. But I can love them. I want you to do the same. Love God’s children in My name and you will be rewarded. Love for Me."


Lay apostles, we have so many opportunities to practice patience every day . . . in the grocery store checkout line; with our children and/or grandchildren; with moody co-workers. It's quite amazing . . . since I have been focusing on patience this Lent, I am annoyed less! And at times when I find myself growing impatient with a situation, I call on Him to send some graces down . . . in an instant, my joy returns. Now if I could only shorten the time between impatient and calling on Him! Pray for me!


Thank you, Lord, for the lessons in patience You send my way. I know I need a lot of practice, so please remind me to call on You sooner!

God bless,
Bonnie




No comments: