Thursday, February 9, 2012

A single lay apostle

Living the single life after divorce has its ups and downs.  The upside is freedom to do as I please.  If I want to eat Reece's Peanut Butter cups for dinner, no one is around to condemn my choice (I have only done this a few times . . . ok, maybe more than a few!).  The downside?   At night, when the phone stops ringing and silence prevails, loneliness can edge its way in.  I have grown accustomed to the quiet now.  But occasionally, in the stillness of the night, I contemplate the dating world.  I know exactly what I want and need at this point in my life. Finding the right man is not an easy task.   My priorities have shifted significantly. Is it really about finding someone who satisfies all my needs?  In Anne a lay apostle's book Lessons in Love, her brilliant words refocus me.

"Let us remember, single apostles, that our time is best spent becoming the right person, not trying to find the right person. Do not spend the bulk of your time looking. Spend the bulk of your time becoming. Become. If we, as single lay apostles, constantly seek to find the right person, we are not trying hard enough to become the right person. In this case, we are ignoring our need for development and the right person might not choose us because we have not cooperated with the Lord in our own formation."

I am working hard to become the right person.  I feel Jesus refocusing my attention away from relationships and closer to my life centering around Him.  When I was at my weakest, He knew I needed some major distractions.  So, He is blessing me with two grandchildren this year!  My first grandchild will be here in about 8 weeks!  Perfect timing as always, Jesus!

Thank you, Lord, for leading me to Your Sacred Heart.  I know I must be extremely challenging for You, and I appreciate Your patience!

God bless,
Bonnie

1 comment:

Kevin S said...

Wonderful Bonnie. It is the hole in our heart that leads us to seek comfort and find lonliness. I am discovering, even as a married person that coming to know and live in the love of Christ is the only thing that can sustain us and quickly restore us when our humanity challenges us.Jesus is the only one who gain fill our hearts. Toward the peace of Christ is the direction he wants us to turn whenever we need comforting. it seems from your beautiful post that it is coming through. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everytime we turned to Him we got the taste of peanut butter cups on our tongue!!! i suspect I would get the message more quickly. God Bless you. Praying for Taylor