Thursday, February 16, 2012

Banishing self-interest

I am a mother, first and foremost.  My daughters are the most precious gifts the Lord has ever bestowed upon me.  The minute each of them was born, my heart, well, to quote from a famous animated movie (Grinch Who Stole Christmas), "grew three sizes that day..."  My selfish desires became like a grain of sand on a vast beach.  There, but so insignificant compared to children requiring all the love and protection deserved while here on this earth. But my own self-interest would rear its ugly head once in a while (and still does!).  I wanted what I wanted despite potential consequences.  And the consequences almost always affected those whom I love the most.  Do you see the problem here?  Pursuing our own desires and not those of Jesus will eventually lead us astray.  Away from Him.  Yes, God has given us free-will.  But, choosing our own will over the Father's will can be detrimental to ourselves and those we love.  In Anne a lay apostle's latest book, Whispers From the Cross, Jesus has this to say about self-interest:

"Dear apostles, so often I have counseled you to see yourself as small so that I can be seen as God in all of My power.  I repeat this plea today.  I know that My apostles love Me.  I know that you wish to serve Me and I see your great efforts toward the work I have entrusted to you.  And yet, many of you continue to take the assignments I have given to you and impose your will on them.  Do not be confused. I see that you are serving Me and trying to do My will.  What I am asking you now is that you give greater consideration to completing your work for Me, My way, not your way.  My way is different than your way.  My way is to advance into each day's work in complete humility and complete willingness.  I was a victim to the Father's work. I ask that you, too, be prepared to be a victim to the Father's work.  Only in this way will we, together, be able to draw people back to love and then from there to service.  Beloved ones, you will be disappointed if you look back and see a lifetime of service to Me done with the spirit of selfish humanity.  You will be so sad and so remorseful.  Will you be welcome in My kingdom?  Of course you will be welcome home.  But you will feel much more joy upon your arrival if you rebuked your temptations to be seen as important and powerful and, instead, embraced My Spirit of humility and selflessness in your service."

Today, let's all work on banishing our self-interest and focusing on what we can do to bring others closer to Christ.  If, for example, you are about to become a new parent, move toward loving and caring for your spouse and new arrival.  Not on how you will miss happy hour with your friends after work.  In the end, what is more important?  Serving your loved ones or having a good time?  Believe me, serving is much more rewarding.

Thank you, Lord, for leading me despite my own self-interest.  I wouldn't have the close relationship with my girls if it wasn't for You giving me the strength to be a good parent.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: