Sunday, February 12, 2012

Preparing for the storms

It's the phone call every parent dreads.  Your child has been in a car accident.  That call came this past Thursday night.  I had been out with friends to hear speaker and author Matthew Kelly (Rediscover Catholicism, Off Balance) discuss why now is the time to step up as Catholics.  During his talk, to paraphrase, he said, "be prepared for the storms, for you never know when they will come."  Boy, I did not expect the storm to occur so quickly.  Not more than an hour after his talk, the call came. My youngest daughter, a college student on the opposite coast of Florida, had been rear-ended.  Her dear friend who had been in the car with her, called me from the scene of the accident.  My heart stopped.  She said Taylor was ok, maybe a broken nose.  But the car was totaled.  The paramedic asked to speak with me.  All vital signs were good, but taking her to the hospital for assessment.  She told me if they hadn't been wearing their seat belts, they would have flown through the front windshield.  The impact crushed the rear end of the car into the front seats.  Only by the grace of God did those girls walk away from this accident.  And, with no head injuries.  Just a broken nose and some whiplash.  I have been with my daughter this entire weekend, and have not stopped thanking the Lord for allowing me to have my daughter by my side, healthy, alive, talking, walking, and still my baby girl.  

In the November 2010 Monthly Message, Jesus shows us the power of our prayers.  We may not understand why certain things happen, difficult things.  One day, when we face our Lord, all will make sense.  

". . . You, dear apostle, have shown Me that you are interested in My pain which will always involve the pain of humanity. This moves My heart to the greatest generosity. I answer your prayers in a mystical way. Some day you will see that I answered your prayers in the most beneficial way possible, given the intention. Many unnecessary calamities are avoided because of prayer. The greatest mercy flows down to your loved ones through your prayers, even though you suffer terribly when you see your loved ones hurt or when you must be separated from them, particularly when you do not expect to be separated from them. I am the merciful Christ in all of these situations."

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lord, for sparing my daughter and her friend.  I truly can't imagine the pain of losing a child.  Please comfort those who have lost a child and flow graces to them bringing peace into their aching hearts.  

God bless,
Bonnie


P.S.  There has been such an outpouring of love and prayers for Taylor and me this past weekend. But there are some people I have to thank: Karen, Stan, Tim and Jenna for keeping me calm during that awful phone call; Whitney for being my strength when I needed it that night; Mallorie for her love and prayers; Steve for all his love and prayers; Hannah for taking care of my baby girl until I could get there; everyone at DFOT for their love and prayers; and all the wonderful people I have met here in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend: Lauren (who kept Tay calm in a scary situation), Ross (for sitting by my girl in the ER until she was discharged); Anthony (Antman!) for prayers and being so thoughtful taking pressure off regarding Tay's car situation.   And, all my Facebook friends who prayed for us!  I love you all!

No comments: