Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Clinging to the past

The A & E channel broadcasts a show called Hoarders. As disturbing as it is, I am intrigued with every episode. There seems to be a recurring theme . . . people unable to let go of the past. Clinging to objects destroyed by rat infested basements; cockroaches lining the walls within inches of a make-shift bed among the clutter. I can barely watch sometimes. But, it's something in their eyes, every one of them, that draws me in. Something very familiar. Speaking with my sister this morning, we were discussing the difficulties we had with our mother growing up. It all seems so distant, and yet she passed away only 5 years ago. After we hung up, I started thinking about Mother's hoarding tendencies. And I made the connection . . . the eyes of the hoarders are my mother's eyes. The harder we tried to help her let go of the past, the stronger her grip on the fantasy life she created in her head. She was a feisty one who, even if she was wrong, would argue with you that she was right despite evidence showing otherwise. As infuriating as it was at the time, I have to smile because I know where I get it from . . .

So, can we really ever let go of the past avoiding useless anxiety? Yes! With Christ, all things are possible! Jesus tells us in Volume One:

"Dear lost one, I have heard the groaning of your soul and I am responding to your pain. The evil one makes war on the souls of My children and attempts to take them away. But the enemy offers you nothing. Only emptiness. You see that now, little soul, so return to Me. I offer you all that is beautiful, noble, and eternal. You will NEVER regret that you came back to Me. Are you listening? Are you allowing your poor troubled heart to answer Me? I am healing you. I wish to heal you even further; until your soul is as pure as necessary to enter into My kingdom. Dear child, do you want to spend eternity with happiness, with joy in the goodness of others? I do not refer to the hypocritical goodness of some of your earthly companions. That false goodness has disappointed you in the past and is the source of some of your bitterness. Fear not. The light will shine upon that goodness and expose it for evil."

Thank you, Lord, for healing me. I know this is a continual process, but with You, I am learning to let go of the past and focus on the present.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: