Saturday, January 11, 2014

That's What It's All About

Guest blogger: my love, Jay Crandall!

This last Wednesday at Rotary, Rabbi Adam Miller gave the opening invocation for the group. He began by talking about the significance of the song ”Hokey Pokey” not only for us as children, but for us adult Rotarians. He spoke about how as the song progresses, the singer is putting more of themselves IN and moving more of themselves OUT just to
acknowledge that's what it's all about!

He went on to share that in Rotary we are asked to put more of ourselves IN with each year and yet move ourselves OUT more each year (less about US and more about others and service to others) as we mature in Rotary . . . and again . . . that's what it's all about. It made me think that I am (we are) being called to do exactly that in this mission! For me, more IN every year . . . every day. More Christ every year . . . every day. More Peace, more Joy, more Enthusiasm every year . . . every day. And, less me . . . less ego, that's what it IS all about.

In today’ Gospel (John 3:22-30), John recognizes that his job is almost complete and thus the message . . . more of Christ, less of me:

Jesus and his disciples went into the region of Judea, where he spent some time with them baptizing. John was also baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was an abundance of water there, and people came to be baptized, for John had not yet been imprisoned. Now a dispute arose between the disciples of John and a Jew about ceremonial washings.  So they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you testified, here he is baptizing and everyone is coming to him.” John answered and said, “No one can receive anything except what has been given from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said that I am not the Christ, but that I was sent before him. The one who has the bride is the bridegroom; the best man, who stands and listens for him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made complete. He must increase; I must decrease.”

In the February 2007 Monthly Message, Jesus wants us incrementally to improve our relationship with Him:

"Look at each situation, regardless of how seemingly unimportant, and try to be obedient. You do not do this alone, but with Me, because together we work on your spiritual growth. It is our job, yours and mine. It is our project. It is an interesting and joyful project to Me. I love nothing better than helping you to improve the condition of your soul. As your soul’s condition improves, you learn more and more about Me and how much I love you. Do you want to learn more about how much I love you? Practice obedience in small things. I do not expect you to become perfect at once. Do not expect this of yourself. Be gentle with yourself. I love you so much that I do not want you to judge yourself harshly. In the same way, I will never be harsh with you. I will never be hard or cold. You are cherished, my beloved one. I am your Jesus, always here for you. Take My hand and I will lead you closer to obedience each day."

Lay apostles, do you continue to put more of you into your relationship with Christ? At the same time, do you ask that His presence becomes greater in you . . . so that the world experiences more of Him through you? 

Thank you, Lord, for Your patience and the gift of Your love as we take steps to move closer to You each day.

Humbly and gratefully,
Jay

No comments: