Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Drop What You're Doing

Spontaneity is not my forte . . . I can go with the flow if I have to, but I am a planner at heart. One thing I love about Jay (of the many thousands I could list!) is he could be taking the trash out and come back in the house and say, "Bonnie, come outside! I want to show you something!" If I'm tired or in the middle of a project, I tend to ask if it can wait. His response is usually "no, please come out here!" When I do, it is always to show me something beautiful . . . like a full moon, a jet in flight, or a sky filled with stars. Over time, I have stopped asking if it could wait and head outside to see what he is marveling at. The childlike sound in his voice when viewing God's creations while wrapped in his arms is worth every little effort. So, drop what you're doing long enough to appreciate the beauty God has provided for our time on earth. Drop what you're doing to listen to God's call for your life. Listen, you will hear Him speak!

In yesterdays Gospel (Mark 1: 14-20), the apostles didn't hesitate to follow Jesus: 


After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the Gospel of God: “This is the time of fulfillment. The Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the Gospel.”

As he passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Then they left their nets and followed him. He walked along a little farther and saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat mending their nets. Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee in the boat
along with the hired men and followed him.


In Volume One, Thoughts on Spirituality, Anne a lay apostle identifies the answer to our search for comfort:


"The call to our God comes from our center, and when we are in pain, it becomes louder and more insistent. Instead of answering the call and dropping to their knees saying, “God, God, make haste to help me,” people go to health food stores, fortune tellers, Reiki practitioners, and all manner of holders of empty promises. The anguish, the groaning, is the soul, saying, 'Please, dear person, I am starving. Feed me with spiritual food that I may begin to flourish again, thereby granting you the peace you find so elusive.'"  

Lay apostles, what are your goals for 2014? To live a healthier life? To make more money? To lose weight? I have some questions for you . . . is Jesus on that list? Is making more time for Him in Adoration there, too? What about some spiritual reading? Make sure He is at the top of your list this year (and every year!). 

Thank you, Lord, for encouraging Jay and me to make You our priority, letting go of what can be let go of. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: