Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tragedy in Boston

My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by the tragedy in Boston. Such terror and brutality inflicted on innocent people . . . it's hard to make sense of it all. This is when we have to muster up every ounce of faith we can to cope with the loss we experience. This is when we need Jesus the most. 

In todays Gospel (John 6:30-35), Jesus explains what belief in Him provides:

The crowd said to Jesus: “What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you?
What can you do? Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, as it is written:

He gave them bread from heaven to eat.”

So Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.  For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

So they said to Jesus, “Sir, give us this bread always.” Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”


In the booklet Heaven Speaks to Those Who Experience Tragedy, Jesus provides the comfort we need in times of sadness and despair:


"Life on earth is filled with change. If you look back on any life, you can see marking points where that life changed. Sometimes change comes in a predictable and expected manner, as in the movement into a vocation for which a person prepared. Sometimes, change comes in an abrupt manner, as in situations where a person is injured or dies unexpectedly. It is this, the change viewed as a tragedy, that I wish to discuss today. My friend, there are events in every life that stand out as difficult and life-altering. This tragedy, this abrupt change of course, will stand out to you, I know. When you feel a sense of shock, a sense of stunning upset in your life, you must look for Me. I am there. I do not remain with My children, day after day, and then abandon them when they most need my support. Your grief is understandable and I will support you in it. You will not always understand why I allowed a certain thing to happen. In your expected inability to understand, you will challenge Me. You will say, “God, how could You have allowed this? God, where are You? God why have You abandoned us?”  My friends, bring those questions directly to Me because I, Myself, am the most sympathetic listener when it comes to these heartfelt cries of anguish. You see, I cried these cries Myself. In My humanity, on the cross, I felt abandoned. In My humanity, on the cross, I questioned the value of God’s plan. From My viewpoint, nailed to a piece of wood and raised aloft as a subject of total rejection and derision, it appeared that I suffered more than anyone. It appeared that none could know the extent of My pain. My beloved child, I tell you this so that you will understand that I, your Savior, grasp the depth of your pain. I will walk you through each moment of anguish, surrounding you with heaven’s graces. No. You will not be left to walk alone through this tragedy."

Lay apostles, the tragedy in Boston could happen to any one of us at any time. Take time to pray for the victims and their families. And strengthen your prayer life to trust He has a plan. It doesn't always appear to be what we think it should be, but summon the courage our Blessed Mother showed watching her Son tortured and killed on the cross. She didn't die that day with Him. She had to go on and forgive murderers. Take comfort in the words above from the Tragedy booklet. He is always by our side.

Thank you, Lord, for Your Words of healing and comfort when tragedy strikes. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: