Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Did I Lose It or Misplace It?

I am notorious for forgetting to return phone calls. I tend to misplace my keys often. I would like to blame it on my age, but I must admit it's been like this for awhile. I can't begin to imagine suffering from Alzheimer's . . . makes me think about my friend Joyce's mother, Del. Joyce and Paul cared for Del in their home for over 3 years. Her memory became more and more distant as the days turned into months and months turned into years. But I have to tell you, she did not skip a beat when she prayed. I was blessed to pray the Rosary with her a few times over the years. She would have no clue who I was sitting next to her, but not one word of the Our Father or Hail Mary was forgotten. The Memorare she prayed before a meal flowed so beautifully, it felt as if the next thing out of her mouth would be casual conversation. Alas, it wasn't. And she would drift back to her younger days. She was a strong Catholic woman and brought her children up loving God as much as she did. So, I try to be easy on myself when I misplace my keys or forget a follow up phone call. It's all very trivial when you look at the big picture. Like Del, we must know and trust Jesus with all our heart and soul. It's comforting to know the love I feel for Christ will never leave me, and I pray I leave His Words behind for my children and grandchildren to carry on. It's the best inheritance we can leave our children. Everything else fades away.

Todays Gospel (John 6:35-40) shows Jesus declaring His inheritance:

Jesus said to the crowds, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst. But I told you that although you have seen me, you do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.”

In Anne a lay apostle's book The Mist of Mercy, Jesus reminds us why we shouldn't get too attached to our earthly body and possessions:


“There is an attempt to obscure the reality of the next life, life eternal. For this reason, many souls do not accept that they have an inheritance awaiting them. Poor souls. How discouraging for them to labor and suffer without understanding the purpose. Is it any wonder there is such an attempt to discover substitutes for true peace? My apostles understand that there is no value in being too comfortable in an earthly body because they will one day relinquish it. The body is not a god, for all the enemy would like to portray it as such. Each body is a creation of the Father. Each soul is a creation of the Father. Humanity, precious humanity, I want you to understand that you are cherished. I, Jesus, love you and cherish you. My enemy does not feel this way. My enemy seeks to hurt you. Do not reject Me. Spend time in silence, considering the remainder of your days on earth and how you would like to conduct yourself. The enemy cannot promise you that you will live forever. Only I can make that promise and only through Me will you find the Father, the One who loves you. Have no fear when considering the next life, regardless of your sins. If you repent, you will be saved. It is that simple."

Lay apostles, our time on this earth is limited. Our bodies may begin to fail as we age. Our forgetfulness will probably increase as time goes on. Do you have an elderly parent, relative or friend who you become easily frustrated with because they say the wrong thing or seem to forget what you told them 5 minutes ago? What about patience with our children or grandchildren? Impatience and anger don't come from God. Or, are you the forgetful one? Give yourself a break and understand one of the most important lessons of this life: to love God and shoot for heaven. 

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me to have patience with others and especially with myself. But can you please help me to remember where I put my keys?

God bless,
Bonnie

1 comment:

Joyce said...

How interesting you should reference my mom this week Bonnie. It's hard to believe, but last Sunday it was 2 years since her soul left us. Paul & I will be eternally grateful that God allowed us to care for her. +JMJ