Friday, August 31, 2012

We Only Have Today

Note: I am a little behind due to having BOTH grandsons with me for a week! 



None of us know when we will be called home to heaven.  Over the past year, I have worked on living in the present . . . not worrying about next year or even tomorrow.  My days of being a control freak are slowly fading out the more I rely on Christ.  I am a list person.  If not a physical list (I do have a "ToDo" app on my iPhone!), then a mental list. But last weekend, while waiting to see where Hurricane Isaac was going to hit, I thought it would be a good day to make a list of things I needed to do around the house. I started creating the list mentally, then stopped.  Jay and I were spending the day together.  We ended up talking and reading and praying.  The most wonderful day spent focused on each other and God, in the moment, without need to check off items on a list.  We only have today.  Do everything for the glory of God.

In the Gospel (Matthew 24:42-51) reading for Thursday, Jesus warns his disciples:

Jesus said to his disciples: "Stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come. Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour of night when the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and not let his house be broken into. So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come. "Who, then, is the faithful and prudent servant, whom the master has put in charge of his household to distribute to them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master on his arrival finds doing so. Amen, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property. But if that wicked servant says to himself, 'My master is long delayed,' and begins to beat his fellow servants, and eat and drink with drunkards, the servant's master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth."

In the Monthly Message from December 2010, Jesus wants us ready:


"Your joy in service offers others a glimpse of where abandonment has taken you. Please be joyful. Your joy offers the world hope. Joy is infectious. And hope is infectious. Suffering passes away and what remains is your offering. I am returning. I tell you this because it is true and I want you to be prepared and to help others to be prepared. All is well. The infant King looks out upon a world which craves Him. Bring Me to others, that they may also herald My return."

Lay apostles, take time each day to focus on Christ.  Whether it be five minutes before breakfast, 20 minutes on your drive to work, or one hour at night with your family, straighten out your priorities. Checking off chores on a list must take the back burner when your daughter or son ask you to read them a book. Love Jesus.  Love your family and friends.  Then everything else seems to fall into place.

Thank you, Lord, for all the joy in my life.  Through You, I am learning to prioritize!

God bless,
Bonnie



No comments: