Thursday, August 2, 2012

Always Room For Improvement


Writer's block.  It happens to the best of us.  While writing and gathering testimonies for Heavenly Healing, there were many times my mind became a big pile of mush. When I found myself staring at the same paragraph for too long, I knew it was time for a distraction to get the creative juices flowing again.  Formulating unique necklaces with Kazuri beads was the solution and a hobby I enjoyed. When blocked, I would turn my chair from the writing side of my desk to the necklace-making side filled with every color bead imaginable.  Instantly my focus was to create something beautiful. The best part about making my own necklaces?  If I didn't like how it turned out, I could take it apart and start over. My skill level improved the more I made and remade. It became easy as I became more knowledgable.  As a Christian, we have the opportunity to grow in love and faith every second of every day. The lessons we learn today always have room for improvement tomorrow.
The first reading (Jer 18:1-6) reminds me of God's almighty power to change or improve things in a moments notice:
This word came to Jeremiah from the LORD: Rise up, be off to the potter's house; there I will give you my message. I went down to the potter's house and there he was, working at the wheel. Whenever the object of clay which he was making turned out badly in his hand, he tried again, making of the clay another object of whatever sort he pleased. Then the word of the LORD came to me: Can I not do to you, house of Israel, as this potter has done' says the LORD. Indeed, like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, house of Israel.
In Anne a lay apostle’s book Whispers from the Cross, she shows us humility opens our hearts to improvement: 

"This method of behavior, rejecting anger in favor of humility, becomes habit forming. How beautiful it is to witness someone who has gained mastery over himself in this way. Their rare departures into anger or thoughtless remarks are reassuring in terms of their humanity but also stark contrasts from their normal behavior. It is good to see what a person could look like if he allowed himself the self-indulgence of anger because through these little glimpses, we can appreciate more fully their beauty in heavenly self-control. We can see it in ourselves and say, 'My goodness, I do not look my best in this situation. I must work harder to gain mastery over myself.' Oh dear. Some personalities and some biochemistries will have great difficulty here. So be it. In our patience we will possess our souls and that is our hope. Better to find oneself in a garden full of weeds holding a shovel than find oneself in a garden full of weeds attempting to call the weeds flowers. We know the truth. We know what God is asking. He wants us to try to conduct ourselves as He would with each other so we set off on a path of improvement, each day and every day."


Lay apostles, how can you take one step closer toward Christ on the mountain of holiness?  Maybe it's comforting an ill family member or friend.  Possibly sitting down with your son or daughter and asking about his/her day by listening and not refocusing the attention to yourself.  Or, make a casserole dish for a new parent experiencing sleepless nights.  Whatever you choose, choose something. Strive to make each day better than the  last.  

Thank you, Lord, for encouraging me to strive for a better version of myself.  The closer I stay to You throughout the day, the easier it is to improve and flourish.

God bless,
Bonnie





No comments: