Thursday, August 9, 2012

Captive Body, Free Soul

My younger sister began her nursing career in prison.  No, she was not convicted of a crime. But took care of those who were. She has a very kind heart and found the population to be quite diverse.  Some were angry and noncompliant; some quiet and manageable. There is one common denominator among all the prisoners—they are sinners just like those of us outside the walls of confinement. They are sinners that took it one step further, becoming captive behind bars. Despite their choices, they are still children of God and need our prayers. 

Direction for Our Times is blessed with a woman named Mary Carter working with the prison ministry for this apostolate.  I received a forwarded message from DFOT yesterday with the following statement from Mary:

"I got a very special phone call very late last night from one man who ministers at the Otero Federal Prison. He had distributed the latest order of DFOT booklets to the incarcerated along with vol 2 & vol 7. He was so filled with joy as the prisoners expressed their extreme gratitude. They all gathered together last night to pray for us! He said that when he used to go in to see the men, they would only want to do small talk, now they want to skip the small talk. They want to know more about Jesus. They want bibles and rosaries now too. (And we're talking hundreds and hundreds of men here!)

*** As for myself, I don't even know how to begin to express my gratitude for the support this apostolate has provided to help me in my outreach. I am speechless when I think of the sacrifice that some have had to go through to ensure I have the resources I need to distribute. May Jesus bless them doubly for their generosity. I love them with every fiber of my being."

Incredible, right?  If you are interested in changing the lives of prisoners through Christ, here is a link to get you started: http://www.prisonfellowship.org/prison-fellowship-home

In todays Gospel (Matthew 15:21-28) we see the Canaanite woman demonstrate her belief Jesus is the Messiah, not losing hope for her daughter's healing:
At that time Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman of that district came and called out, "Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter is tormented by a demon." But he did not say a word in answer to her. His disciples came and asked him, "Send her away, for she keeps calling out after us." He said in reply, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But the woman came and did him homage, saying, "Lord, help me." He said in reply, "It is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs." She said, "Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the table of their masters." Then Jesus said to her in reply, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed from that hour.

In the booklet Heaven Speaks to Prisoners, Jesus consoles those isolated from society without hope:

“I wish to talk to those imprisoned, for any reason. Dear brothers and sisters, your Christian family needs you. Your prayers, your sacrifices have great power. If you unite your suffering to Me, I can use it to save many souls. For example, if you offer Me each day, I will take your offering and I will use it to soften the hearts of your family members who are separated from you. I will use your offering to undo any damage that your sins may have caused. I do not need to say that I will work miracles in your soul. I do not need to say that because you know this. It is part of My promise to all lay apostles. You have not lived a perfect life, whether or not you are guilty of the crimes for which you have been accused. Even if those crimes were not at issue, you have not been perfect. How do I know that? I will tell you. No man or woman is perfect. All are sinners. In My eyes, this makes you no worse than someone who is not imprisoned. Do you understand? You may feel the eyes of the world upon you in condemnation, but in the eyes of heaven you do not stand out. You are My friend. I am your friend. There are many souls not in prison, who are far guiltier than you. You are cherished and it is that which I have come to tell you. Rest your head against Me, your Jesus, and I will heal you.”

Lay apostles, as difficult as it may be praying for those incarcerated, they need the healing graces of Jesus. In your daily prayers, add a special intention for those in prison.  Our Lord will take those prayers and put them to good use. 

Thank you, Lord, for people like Mary Carter who love the hardest to love by spreading Your messages in the Volumes and Heaven Speaks booklets. Please bless the prison ministry with funding to continue this important task and remind prisoners although their bodies are captive, their souls are free to love and heal.

God bless,
Bonnie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My family members always say that I am killing my time here at net, but I know I am getting know-how everyday by reading these nice articles.