Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How To Endure Suffering

(Note: I forgot to hit "Publish" on my blog post yesterday so it is showing today's date.  Scripture quoted is from August 21, 2012 . . . thanks Joyce!)

Here we are again with that "suffering" word.  As I gracefully (well, attempting it!) grow older, I try to keep my aches and pains to myself, although grunting as I stand after sitting for extended periods screams old age!  Easily, there are far worse conditions to endure in life, one of them being separation from loved ones. It's difficult enough when people you love pass away or your children leave for college or get married.  These are natural events taking place in everyday life for most.  But what about uprooting your family for the Lord's work?  And, leaving the country to do it. The following is from Volume One, written by Anne, a lay apostle:

"Various circumstances compelled my husband and me to move with our children far from my loved ones. I offered this up and must say it is the most difficult thing I have had to contend with. Living in exile brings many beautiful opportunities to align with Christ’s will; however, you have to continually remind yourself that you are doing that. Otherwise you just feel sad."

Truly, we have to be willing to suffer and sacrifice with Christ in mind.  For Him. How else can we escape feelings of sadness, loneliness, or isolation?  Flat out, we can't.  
Todays Gospel (Matthew 19:23-30) demonstrates all the money and power in the world will get you nowhere unless you use it to glorify His Name:

Jesus said to his disciples: "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God." When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus looked at them and said, "For men this is impossible, but for God all things are possible." Then Peter said to him in reply, "We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you that you who have followed me, in the new age, when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory, will yourselves sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."

In Heaven Speaks to Those Who Suffer from Financial Need, St. Augustine gives us his view on sacrifice:


"Dear brothers and sisters, we in heaven remember being on earth. We remember having great wants and suffering from poverty. Some of God’s saints were wealthy on earth, of course, but many were not. The time in which you live is a time of great abundance for some. It would make God happy if this abundance were shared so that few experienced hunger that resulted in disease and death. There will always be poor people, it is true, but this fact does not excuse anyone from failing to assist them. If you are wealthy, you may say, “What can I do?” I will answer you today. Give. Give often and give more. Work for others with your power and influence. Spread holy principles of responsible use of material and financial wealth. Also, deprive yourself of something. Sacrifice. Perhaps you are in a situation where you were accustomed to a high standard of living and now you find that you have had to reduce your standard. Praise God for this. Rejoice because in this circumstance you will learn many things. You will learn to trust God. You will learn to have compassion for others. You will learn that not everything has to do with bodily comfort."

Lay apostles, is something making you feel anxious today?  Fearful? Angry?  If you are suffering, rejoice in it as St. Augustine says above.  Look at suffering as life lessons Jesus feels we need at this moment in time.  I used to try to figure out solutions to all my problems causing such anxiety and fear. Through this apostolate I have learned to face what it is I'm fearful of or worried about and then hand it off to Christ to figure out the solution.  Boy is life calmer . . . more joyful. And I don't walk around with 10lbs on my shoulders anymore.  I have finally learned how to endure suffering.

Thank you, Lord, for supplying the sacrifice and suffering I needed and continue to need to align myself with Your Will.  I promise to continue practicing keeping the complaints to a minimum!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: