Friday, August 3, 2012

Enough is Enough


I rarely get on Facebook anymore.  Evil lurks about waiting for opportunities to fling hatred at anyone with differing beliefs. I feel like I have to duck whenever I log in!  A few days ago American's believing in traditional marriage between a man and a woman stood in support of Chick-Fil-A, a known Christian organization. Soon it turned from supporting traditional marriage to slurs that Chick-Fil-A is anti-gay.  Since when did an established Christian value become a bad thing? I want to share a post my daughter made on Facebook a few days ago in regard to all the hype: 

"Geeeezzzz, everyone needs to calm down.....Chick-Fil-A is not anti-gay! It just has a different opinion about what constitutes marriage as understood by the Christian faith. Don't hate just because people have different opinions. No one's rights are being violated - except for Chick-Fil-A's, if these politicians were to ban them from their cities, which would be a violation of their right to free speech!" 

What if the tables were turned? What if Chick-Fil-A was pro-gay marriage? Would I then accuse them of being anti-heterosexual?  Would I demand my government ban them from opening one of their restaurants in my city?  Of course not! My attitude is to leave the judgement up to God.  In a free market society, we can choose where we want to eat for whatever reason. If a company's viewpoint bothers you, then don't spend your money there.   

In this divisive world, where the slightest difference in opinion can bring on such hatred, I found the Responsorial Psalm today (Psalm 69:5,8-10, 14) very fitting: 


R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
Those outnumber the hairs of my head who hate me without cause. Too many for my strength are they who wrongfully are my enemies. Must I restore what I did not steal?
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
Since for your sake I bear insult, and shame covers my face. I have become an outcast to my brothers, a stranger to my mother's sons, Because zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
But I pray to you, O LORD, for the time of your favor, O God! In your great kindness answer me with your constant help.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

In Anne a lay apostle’s book Whispers from the Cross, she clearly identifies a path leading to hatred:

“To say we admire the virtues in another and strive to acquire these same virtues is wonderful. To look at the virtues of another and to admire the attention these others may get because they possess these virtues, and to then try to ‘steal’ the virtues by mimicking them but not practicing them, is diabolical in nature. We do not lovingly try to live the same goodness. We, like the chameleon, try to become a similar color. We are not authentically ourselves in virtue. We are pretending to be someone else. We are away from our real identity with Christ. We are projecting ourselves somewhere else, somewhere where we most certainly are not. The person, the source of our envy, becomes then a stinging reproach to us, a reminder of who we are not. And thus we see the birth of hatred. That person will be the one we betray.”


Lay apostles, stay out of the petty fighting and constant slandering going on in the world. Stay connected to Christ through prayer. Avoid negativity at all costs.  Instead of posting an article slamming a cause or organization on Facebook, post something positive bringing Jesus into the forefront.  Remember, God is love.  It's time to start behaving and acting like His children. Enough is enough.

Thank you, Lord, for protecting me with Your Words when it feels the world is taking two steps backward on the mountain of holiness. Shower all those spewing hatred with Your heavenly peace and love.

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: