Thursday, September 12, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Heart Healer

Jesus heals all wounds . . . eventually. Although the "eventually" is not His fault, it's my own ego hard at work. We all do battle with darkness when we have been wounded by another. After reading today's Gospel (Luke 6:27-38), I know I have come a long way. A younger me would have poo-pooed most of what Jesus is saying, without the slightest hesitation. My immature mind couldn't dismiss the wrongs or mistreatment. But I get it now. I'm going to use a phrase my husband says in times of wrongdoing: hurt people, hurt people. So next time someone wounds your precious heart, remember the words of Christ in this Gospel. Do it for Him. Resist the urge to get revenge; resist the temptation to spew hatred back. Allow our Divine Healer tend to your heart first. Then, ask Him to heal your offender. Here it is, straight from the lips of Our Lord:

Jesus said to his disciples: “To you who hear I say, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. To the person who strikes you on one cheek, offer the other one as well, and from the person who takes your cloak, do not withhold even your tunic. Give to everyone who asks of you, and from the one who takes what is yours do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. For if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do the same. If you lend money to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, and get back the same amount. But rather, love your enemies and do good to them, and lend expecting nothing back; then your reward will be great and you will be children of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as also your Father is merciful.

“Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”

In Anne a lay apostle's book Serving in Clarity, Jesus reminds us He is the Healer of all wounds:

"I know what lifts your heart, My beloved one. I know what consoles you and gives you comfort. In the same way, you understand what consoles Me, what lifts Me and gives Me comfort. Shall I remind you? Love. Love gives Me solace in a time when there is great hatred. I look to you and I see suffering, yes, pain, of course, but also love. I see that you suffer for Me and this sustains Me. I see your sacrifices and I see your wounds, and yet you continue to serve your King. You do not melt away into the world as others have. You do not allow your heart to be hardened as some do. You work constantly to allow Me access as the Divine Healer. I require constant access to your little heart, it is true, but you give that to Me through your time in prayer and your willingness to be honest in assessing your actions and motives. Dearest apostle, walk with Me as one of My guards of honor. I love you immeasurably. I will care for everything and I will never fail to sustain you. Bring Me your fears constantly, in every moment. I will eradicate them. If you walk closely with Me, you will exert less effort and I will sow a heavenly garden in your soul as we proceed."

Lay apostles, what are you waiting for? Are you carrying a grudge from an old wound? A recent wound? Pray to Jesus right now. Ask Him to mend your heart and give you the grace needed to forgive. It takes a lot of practice and dedication healing old wounds. But it can be done! I am living proof it does get better the more I cling to Christ and pray for those who offend. The only way I can describe it is like this: it's as if there is a protective shield in front of me when daggers are being thrown. I can hear what is being said but my heart is completely protected. I mistakenly step in front of that shield once in a while (quickly realizing I am unprotected!) and let the pointy little suckers penetrate my heart. But it's not too long before Our Lord swoops in to save it. I just have to let Him!

Thank you, Lord, for truly being my Heart Healer. My life is so different now . . . since I let You completely in!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: