Thursday, September 5, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Drop What You're Doing!

In my experience as an RN, there were many times my rounds were smooth and peaceful (I always worked 7p - 7a). But there were a few rare times where I had to drop what I was doing (as long as it didn't interfere with care I was responsible for) and beeline to a patient room. I'll never forget one night in particular. It was an ordinary evening, no patients in immediate distress, all meds passed out, dinner eaten and cleared out of rooms. All was calm. I was usually the last (and fairly new RN at the time) nurse on my shift to finish rounds as I took the time to talk with my patients trying to ease any fears or concerns. Sitting at the nurses' station with a pile of charts, the overhead PA called a code blue and on my floor! My first thought was to thank God it wasn't the room number of one of my patients. Quickly running to the room to see if I could help, I stopped dead in my tracks when I got to the door. A sight I will never forget appeared . . . blood beginning to coagulate on the floor surrounding the bed . . . a LOT of blood . . . and a patient that was blue. He was a post-op abdominal surgery. The nurse assigned to that patient was in a bit of shock as they tried to revive him, of which they were not successful. This woman had been a nurse for almost 20 years and at times seemed very calm, almost lackadaisical. When we assume we know everything, all hell can break loose. If we aren't diligent and aware in our fight for Christ on earth, arming ourselves with knowledge from the Bible, the Volumes . . . how can we be prepared for unfortunate situations that may arise, assaulting our difficult to achieve balance? Just as the nurse above should have made sure her rounds were consistent for a post-op patient, we must make sure we are consistent on a daily basis in living the messages of Jesus Christ to the best of our ability.

In today's Gospel (Luke 5:1-11), it proves following Christ is not always easy, but so rewarding in the end:

While the crowd was pressing in on Jesus and listening to the word of God, he was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret. He saw two boats there alongside the lake; the fishermen had disembarked and were washing their nets. Getting into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, he asked him to put out a short distance from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. After he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch.” Simon said in reply, “Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets.”

When they had done this, they caught a great number of fish and their nets were tearing. They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come to help them. They came and filled both boats so that the boats were in danger of sinking. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” For astonishment at the catch of fish they had made seized him and all those with him, and likewise James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners of Simon. Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him.

In Anne a lay apostle's new book, Suspended in Mystery, Jesus encourages us to put Him first to fulfill His plan for us:

"The Gospel message is compelling. It is timeless. It is full of love and hope. But, my beloved friends, when people relax their efforts to become holier, they lose the force needed to convict others. You may believe that my call is unfair, given its requirement of personal sacrifice. You may believe that the cost is too high for you to pay. To remain faithful to me, you must sometimes put yourself and your personal plans in the second place and my plan in the first place. You are no different than any other follower in any other time."

Lay apostles, how much time are you dedicating to reading the Gospel messages in the Bible? Have you read a Volume yet? Today is the day. Read the Volumes for free here. Listen to Anne's first Thursday talks here. Drop what you're doing and choose Jesus.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me the importance of consistent faith in You. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: