Monday, September 16, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Be Grateful Today

Beware of people who are rude to waiters/servers! The advice I wish I had been given at a much younger age. In my pharmaceutical days as a Medical Liaison, I had a boss who treated servers as if they were idiots. I dreaded going out to eat when together as a group. I always found myself trying to make up for his poor behavior by complementing the server (and, I really didn't want to consume anyone else's spit other than my own!). A former waitress in my high school days, I was treated similarly at times. Well, I won't divulge what ended up in, uh, coffee or a salad. ;-) Terrible on my part but such satisfaction at the time. Maybe that's why I am so grateful for anyone serving me. It's a tough job and we don't walk in any other shoes but our own. What about when we are on the receiving end of the rudeness from a server? Not my monkey, not my circus! I can choose to either be rude back or let it go and remain focused on the joy of being a Christian . . . which requires a lot of forgiveness in certain situations and at a moment's notice. I am not perfect, but the more I see through the eyes of Jesus, the more tolerant I automatically become.

Today's Gospel (Luke 7:1-10) finds Jesus amazed by a man's great faith and love of his servant:

When Jesus had finished all his words to the people, he entered Capernaum. A centurion there had a slave who was ill and about to die, and he was valuable to him. When he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and save the life of his slave. They approached Jesus and strongly urged him to come, saying, "He deserves to have you do this for him, for he loves our nation and he built the synagogue for us." And Jesus went with them, but when he was only a short distance from the house, the centurion sent friends to tell him, "Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof. Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you; but say the word and let my servant be healed. For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it." When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him and, turning, said to the crowd following him, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith." When the messengers returned to the house, they found the slave in good health.

In the June 2012 Monthly Message, Jesus lovingly acknowledges His lay apostles' commitment to furthering His Kingdom:

"I am pleased when I see holiness increasing in My friends and this increase in holiness is what gives Me hope for the Church. Yes, I am urging My followers toward sacrifice and service and many of you are answering with your whole hearts. You, listening to My words and allowing them to change you, are giving Me great hope. With this hope I push on into the world, confident, that while some resist change, others embrace it. Yes, change is happening, most especially in the heart of every committed apostle. You are becoming holier. As you are becoming holier, My Church is becoming holier. Apostles, hear this call with all seriousness. I, Jesus, have everything needed to advance the Church into greater unity. And I, Jesus, can do this as quickly as you will allow Me. Find Me in your soul in each moment you are questioning your role in the Kingdom. I will direct you."

Lay apostles, be thankful to those who serve us.  From the waitress serving you coffee to the mechanic fixing your brakes to the dentist filling your tooth.  We all serve in some capacity, don't we?  Serve unconditionally for love of Christ. Every kind gesture made shines His Light in a dark world. What service can you provide in the name of Jesus Christ today?

Thank you, Lord, for changing my perspective of how I view others/situations to more resemble Yours. Please give me a nudge when I am seeing through worldly eyes!

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: