Friday, June 21, 2013

Treasures on Earth

Jay and I are about to celebrate one year together (June 23rd!). Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined Jesus had this in store for me. I truly believed and accepted, after my divorce, I would remain a single lay apostle for the rest of my life. I was perfectly ok with that. I have been blessed with two grandsons, knowing the rest of my life would be full and happy. Little did I know what was right around the corner. Jay came bursting into my life like a breath of fresh air I didn't realize I was lacking. Within 5 minutes of meeting him (the couple who set us up were 20 mins late!) and finding out he was Catholic, my mind immediately went to "oh Lord, what are you doing here?" That first date lasted 9 hours. Within those 9 hours, he met my close friends Karen and her husband Stan (they happened to be at Coconut Point right at that time), and two of my daughters (Whit and Tay were meeting me for a movie at 4pm). Might be a little overwhelming for most men (or women) on a blind date. But not for Jay. He loved meeting them all. We went from lunch at California Pizza Kitchen, to coffee at Panera Bread, to a movie with the girls, to sitting in his car talking about everything until 9pm, completely missing dinner. I drove home blown away. One week later, I told him I loved him. He replied back with the same. And this past year has been one of the best years of my life. So many of our friends told us to take it slow . . . we just laughed and told them we would. Jay is one of my treasures on earth. And I cannot wait for the day I become his wife. He asked me to marry him on Valentine's Day, in front of the Blessed Sacrament in St. Raphael's Adoration Chapel. Our relationship began with God in the middle. So Jay said He had to be there when he proposed. I am truly blessed.




Todays Gospel (Matthew 6:19-23) reminds us to forego earthly treasures for heavenly treasures:

Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.

“The lamp of the body is the eye. If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light; but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness. And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.”


In the booklet Heaven Speaks to Consecrated Souls, St. Dominic reminds all of us when we work for Jesus, our reward is great joy:


"How heaven delights in the souls who dedicate their lives on earth to the goals of God. You are our treasure, our gold. You have been given a role to play in this time and you will do so. Jesus depends on your yes, little one, and I know you will not disappoint Him. I know that you will serve heaven and I want to help you. With heaven there is joy that is not replaceable by anything that comes from the world. Only heaven’s followers have this joy. We want to spread this heavenly joy throughout the world at this time and you know that we want to do this through you. We will give you joy as a gift that you can share with others. Ask us and we will place it in your heart. Come to me often for any assistance you require. If your heart is heavy, rest in my Immaculate Heart and I will share your burdens. In this way you will be lighter and heaven will flow through you more efficiently. Only rewards will come to you."

Lay apostles, I can confirm working for Jesus brings great joy and peace. Not that I don't experience difficult times. I do. But when you are blessed with all Christ gives His dedicated lay apostles, nothing is difficult to endure. I know anything coming my way is His Will. He and all of heaven provide the comfort I need, when I need it. The treasures are there waiting for you . . .

Thank you, Lord, for the greatest treasure on earth . . . love. Love with Jay, my girls, my sons-in-law, my grandsons, my family, my friends. This is a taste of heaven. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: