Sunday, June 2, 2013

Jesus I Trust You . . . But . . .

Guest blogger: Jay!

As a guy . . . I like simple! Give me simple instructions . . . take out the garbage . . . we need to leave by 10:20 a.m.  Or better yet . . . for my birthday I would like this kind of shoe, found at Macy’s, talk to Joan (she knows my color and my size).  I’m a list guy. I love to give and really like to know that what I’m attempting is going to bring about results.
Want to confuse me? Tell me that something doesn’t matter when it really does. Tell me to surprise you and then be disappointed or critical. (You mean the new vacuum cleaner  with three  more features than the old one for your birthday is not what you consider a great surprise? Every guy has been there or has seen a buddy who has been there and the results are pretty consistent regardless of the recipient . . . it does not end well!)

Give me simple and I’ll ace it! I did not say it had to be easy, in fact, sometimes the harder the better and the more satisfaction I receive . . . but it has to be clear. On the other hand, the more ambiguous or the more it doesn’t make sense to me, the more frustrated or challenged I become.

In today’s Gospel (Luke 9:11B-17), it’s getting close to quitting time and the apostles are ready to start directing folks to start heading off the hill so they can get home . . . or at least find safe shelter come nightfall. As the apostles are preparing to instruct the people, Jesus requests that the crowd be fed before journeying away from the day’s gathering. If I’m in the apostles group, the question most prominent in my mind is . . . Are you joking Lord? Please tell me you did not just ask that! You are God . . . surely you must already know we travel extremely light ourselves. Surely you know that the food we have plus what we may be able to gather is not nearly enough to feed a few, let alone the throngs of people assembled!

From reading the Bible, we realize the apostles probably would not have been able to join the local MENSA organization in their day, however, what they lacked in formal education they often excelled  in the areas of trust and faith in Jesus. Not fully understanding the logic, not understanding how it could possibly turn out good, they still went to work on following our Lord.

Jesus spoke to the crowds about the kingdom of God, and he healed those who needed to be cured. As the day was drawing to a close, the Twelve approached him and said, "Dismiss the crowd so that they can go to the surrounding villages and farms and find lodging and provisions; for we are in a deserted place here." He said to them, "Give them some food yourselves." They replied, "Five loaves and two fish are all we have, unless we ourselves go and buy food for all these people." Now the men there numbered about five thousand. Then he said to his disciples, "Have them sit down in groups of about fifty." They did so and made them all sit down. Then taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing over them, broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the crowd. They all ate and were satisfied. And when the leftover fragments were picked up, they filled twelve wicker baskets.

In the Monthly Message from February 2005, Jesus asks us to listen and trust:

"I wish to tell the world of My love. Dearest children of God, you will be welcomed in heaven. You have a family here who prepares for your arrival. Each soul on earth is steadily making progress in their earthly journey in that you are steadily approaching the end of your life, even if you will live to a very old age. If we begin with that thought, My next thought will make even more sense to you: I wish you to consider what it is you will bring to Me when I come for you. Will you bring Me kindness to others? Will you bring Me service to your family? Will you bring Me a duty fulfilled in obedience and dignity? You see, little souls, I will not ask you for your material possessions because they will have no value here, unless you use these possessions to help others. Only then can material possessions acquire heavenly value. I have placed you in the world to serve. I am with you in each day but you must also be with Me. Dearest children, ask Me for guidance and I will tell you how I wish you to serve."

Lay apostles, is there something in your life you are being called to do as a Christian you know is the right thing to do, but you don’t want to do? Is there something our Lord commands that just doesn’t feel good or make sense? Is there someone you need to forgive today (or who needs your forgiveness today) that you are holding back on forgiving? Is there a project that needs to get started you know will build the Kingdom, but your are not clear yet as to how the people needed or the events needed to bring it to completion will come together? Is there a project or organization that needs your help requiring your time, treasure, or talents? In the words of Nike, Jesus is saying ”Just do it!”  Action through faith (us plus God) is infinitely more powerful than our most brilliant action through logic and human intellect (without God).

Father, thank you for Your patience! Thank you for realizing that on our best day we only understand a small fraction of Your Plans. Thank you for reveling we can trust You completely and thank you in everything!

In humility and gratitude,
Jay


No comments: