Thursday, June 13, 2013

Obedience to His Words

(Special message for June 12th - HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY to my oldest daughter Mallorie! Love you always, always!)

Do I really have to obey what I read in the Bible or in the Volumes? The short answer . . . yes! I do have to obey what Christ asks of His lay apostle. He has given us the silver lining playbook for a successful win at the end. I am far from perfect, but I do my best. And let me tell you about one of the graces I have received for my attempted obedience. Last night was our local lay apostle prayer group meeting. My daughter Whitney makes it whenever she can depending on her work schedule. She and I have prayed her husband would attend the prayer group some day. We have prayed this prayer for a long time. When he stepped out of Whit's car, I was overcome with thankfulness. Prayers do get answered. Sometimes so quickly you can hardly believe your eyes. Sometimes, it seems like an eternity, then, when you least expect it, in walks an answer to your prayers. When it came time to pray for intentions, I couldn't contain my tears while I thanked God out loud for my son-in-law being at his first lay apostle meeting. Internally, I thanked Him profusely for this tremendous gift realized in my lifetime. 

The Gospel from 12Jun13 (Matthew 5: 17-19) makes it clear . . . obey:

Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the Kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.”

In Volume One, Jesus reiterates the importance of listening and working toward obedience to Him:


"I would speak to souls today about the value of obedience. My chosen ones believe they should understand everything. This is not always possible. There are times when you must obey Me without understanding why I have chosen to ask a thing of you. I realize this is difficult for you, and that is why I am asking you to practice this virtue. There will come a time when I ask you for obedience and I will need an immediate response. I cannot have My chosen ones wasting time, questioning why I am asking them to complete a task. So now we will practice obedience, dear ones. In your everyday life, I want you to always consider what it is that Jesus is asking from you. You will know, in your heart, what My desires require. Please, begin this today and practice obeying immediately, even though perhaps you do not recognize the merit of the request. How often you will say later, “I see now why my Jesus asked me to do that task.” Children, in this way you will become free. Your liberty will be complete and your slavery to this world will end. I need obedient servants. Again, I tell you, study the Bible. Read the Gospels. My children in the past did not always understand why they were asked to do things. Even My mother, Mary, did not always understand the value of her actions. Saint Joseph, My foster father, is a beautiful example of the reverence a soul must possess for the Divine Will in his life. Ask St. Joseph to help you with obedience and the trust necessary to obey. He will hear you. And you will progress. This is a time, now, for heeding My messages, children. I say this with all solemnity. Be advised. Your God wishes to save you through your obedience."

Lay apostles, the word "obedience" can be difficult pill to swallow. It screams of perfection, doesn't it? But truly, when Jesus uses that word, He is asking us to "practice" being obedient, one step at a time. He knows we are far from perfect. By providing the words above, He gives us encouragement and clear guidelines which lead to Him. After all, it's where we want to end up, right? So try a little obedience today. Maybe it means you pray before a meal, even if you are alone. Or, pull out a children's Bible and read a story to a little one. Whatever you choose to show Him your obedience, do it with love. Do it for Christ!

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me obedience does not equal perfection. If it did, I would be in big trouble! Today, I will read "Thank you, God, for Puppies" to my grandson when he gets here!

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: