Monday, June 10, 2013

A Little Bruising

The minute I see my grandson Colton coming in the door at Mass, I can't wait to get my hands on him! The minute he sees me, his huge grin melts my heart. And when he reaches out for me to hold him, well, it's just heavenly. Yesterday at Mass, he was sitting on my lap, starting to get a little antsy. Jay handed Colt his very heavy watch (which Colton LOVES to play with) and as usual, he started swinging it everywhere. My youngest daughter was sitting next to me, home for the weekend. Trying to dodge the watch, I wasn't fast enough to avoid collision with my eye. A loud enough connection to the bone under my left eye caused my daughter and Jay turn to see if I was ok. It hurt, and I knew I may be looking at a black eye. We just laughed and despite being a little bruised, my love for Colton trumps everything! There is absolutely nothing this baby boy could ever do to make me angry . . . he is my little angel! And I am happy to report today there is no evidence of a bruise!

Loving unconditionally can mean suffering and sacrifice. In todays Gospel (Matthew 5:1-12), Jesus explains life as a Christian:

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.  He began to teach them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you falsely because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”


In Anne a lay apostle's book Serving in Clarity, she encourages us to think like disciples of Christ:


"Yes, it is clear that the early apostles struggled. It is also clear, though, that they expected no less. They understood that if they were called to follow Jesus they would be treated like Jesus, whose experience included mockery and anguish."

Lay apostles, reread the Gospel today. Let it sink in. There is always going to be suffering and sacrifice as a Christian. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, offer it up for Christ's suffering on the cross. Unite your pain to His and continue climbing the mountain. Take  bumps in the road as challenges to become what Jesus Himself describes above. Be blessed!

Thank you, Lord, for all the bumps and bruises in my life. Help me to never be bitter and always offer up my suffering for You.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: