Friday, February 15, 2013

What's the Point of Fasting?

Today is the first Friday of Lent.  You will see in both the first reading and the Gospel, God is giving us powerful messages to aid in our conversion. After reading them, my mind drifted to a time when I was a little girl at Christmastime. My little sister and I, when our parents would leave the house (we had two older sisters at home), sneaked into Mom and Dad's room to count the number of Christmas presents bearing our names, hidden in their closet. The first time we did this, I remember boasting my number excitedly. Then came my sister's number . . . it was two more than mine!  She, in little sister style, did her happy dance. And boisterously taunted she had two more than me with her "ha ha ha-ha ha" added for effect. I was so mad! How come she got two more than me? I painfully wondered. It's not fair! I think that was the year I said something to my mother about it. Every Christmas thereafter, the numbers were equal and presents were strategically stored on the upper shelf of their closet (although, unbeknownst to them, we would bring a stool or chair in to peek!). Just as my sister and I should have been thankful our parents could afford and wanted to give us gifts, we should be grateful God, in Sacred Scripture, gives us clear guidance in what He expects of His Children. 

In todays first reading (Isaiah 58:1-9A), God defines, through the prophet Isaiah, what true fasting looks like (and doesn't look like):

Thus says the Lord GOD: Cry out full-throated and unsparingly, lift up your voice like a trumpet blast;  Tell my people their wickedness, and the house of Jacob their sins.  They seek me day after day, and desire to know my ways, Like a nation that has done what is just and not abandoned the law of their God; They ask me to declare what is due them, pleased to gain access to God. “Why do we fast, and you do not see it? afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?”

Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits, and drive all your laborers. Yes, your fast ends in quarreling and fighting, striking with wicked claw. Would that today you might fast so as to make your voice heard on high! Is this the manner of fasting I wish, of keeping a day of penance: That a man bow his head like a reed and lie in sackcloth and ashes? Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD? 


This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke; Sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; Clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own. Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed; Your vindication shall go before you, and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard. Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer, you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!

Todays Gospel (Matthew 9:14-15) reminds us to keep our fasting to ourselves, and not compare it to another's:

The disciples of John approached Jesus and said, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast much,
but your disciples do not fast?” Jesus answered them, “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.”


In Volume Seven, St. Philomena has wonderful advice during our Lenten fasting:


"Do not fear bodily hardships because these things are fleeting. Be in the habit of denying your body a little every day. Again, this is practice. When you deny yourself, perhaps in fasting, you have not said, 'I will never eat again.' You have said, 'I will not eat for now. I will eat later.' It is the same. If you are in a position where your body is being denied something, simply tell yourself that you are being denied at the moment but not forever. You will pray and give thanks to God whatever the circumstances and souls will be saved in great numbers from your prayers of acceptance. There will be the greatest graces available so I do not fear for you because when you experience these times you will have exactly the graces you require. Jesus is so good and He loves us so much! Concentrate on this, my dear friends, and you will not nourish useless fears."


Lay apostles, were you aware of what God wishes us to do in regard to fasting? I know I've read this passage many times before, but reading it today it has new meaning. Doing without food opens us to surrender our own wants and needs to God, heightening our awareness of how much we need Him. But how we use that awareness is what counts. What good works can you do today? If you need some help figuring that out, just reread Isaiah above. The Lord is very clear. 

Thank you, Lord, for this time of fasting during Lent. Please give me the strength to adhere to food fasting so I am open and aware of the fasting You truly desire. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: