Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Transgressions? Who Me?

Monthly Confession has been an eye opener (see my blog post Clarity) since I have committed to it on a monthly basis. Did you know there is a "Confession" iPhone app that actually has the Imprimatur? I use it as a way to record the little ways in which I sin.  It goes through the Ten Commandments, asking questions relating to each. You check the box of those sins you have committed, and it creates a list. I review the list before I sit in front of the priest (remember, using the app does NOT give you absolution from your sins, only a priest has Christ's authority to do that). It's amazing how much you forget in one month's time! Keeping better track of my transgressions in preparation for my monthly purging works wonders in my soul. There is nothing more powerful than the graces and forgiveness received in the Sacrament of Confession. And, doing it on a monthly basis sure makes the list much shorter!

In the Gospel (Matthew 6:7-15) from 19Feb2013, Jesus asks us to never ridicule others transgressions, lest God our Father hold ours against us:

Jesus said to his disciples: “In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

This is how you are to pray:

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,

thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

If you forgive men their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.”


In Volume One, Anne a lay apostle provides a wonderful analogy for why we should focus on our own sins, not the sins of others:

"How short are our memories when it comes to our own transgressions. I was worried that my prayer be disturbed by my concern over what to write in the journal. The Blessed Mother said, “Do not worry about your journal. We will tell you if you are doing something wrong.” When I entered a strange church for the first time, I looked around, examining the architecture, etc. It would not have been my choice, and I did not love the design. I gave a sigh, and looked at the tabernacle, with the crucifix hanging above it. Oh well, I thought, it gets the job done. It immediately struck me that it was kind of like me, imperfect, guilty of flaws and not at all ideal. But Jesus was using me, in all of my imperfections, to move His plan forward. Kind of like driving an old car. You might not go fast. You might have delays. And often you might have to coax and prod. In the end, though, you usually arrive at your destination. The more spiritual work we do, the more we practice following Christ in even the smallest details of our lives, the faster our car will drive for Jesus. I guess this is the movement to unify our will to His. We all must strive to be fast cars. What a curious analogy."

Lay apostles, we all sin. Today, if you haven't been to Confession in a while, start with finding out Confession times in your area. Make a list of your transgressions. If you're not ready for the big reveal, take baby steps. Work on your list every day. Then, when you have the will, get to a priest. For me, my first time back after 25 years was the scariest thing I ever attempted . . . until I received absolution for all my sins. I was on Cloud Nine and haven't stepped off since. I am far from perfect, but I am making every effort to live my life fully as a Catholic woman. Once you confess, it's a new day to try and get it right. 

Thank you, Lord, for the beautiful Sacrament of Confession. I want my soul as clean as possible when it's time for me to head home and see Your Face!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: