Thursday, February 21, 2013

Do Unto Others

I can hear her voice now . . . "do unto others what you would have them do unto you." My mother probably said that to me a million times growing up.  Nineteen months separate my younger sister and me. Being so close in age, we were together a lot. One thing she was very good at . . . subtly provoking me during play time to react loudly, quickly propelling mother in our direction yelling "Bonnie Ann!" (My middle name was over exaggerated when she yelled, the "n" drawn out as if the longer she kept the "n" going, the closer she was in proximity!) I must have been in trouble at least once a day. By the time I was a struggling rebellious teenager, I took that saying and made it my own . . . "do unto others what they did unto you!" I was pretty rough on my sister in high school.  When we moved from California to Colorado the middle of my junior year (her sophomore year), people would ask me if I had a red-headed younger sister, to which I replied, "nope, I'm the youngest." Eventually word would get back to her of my denial, causing her to react loudly. You will be happy to know we grew up and actually love each other. But, every once in a while over the years, she lovingly recalls the torment I caused her to which I respond with my apologies. I wish I would have known then what I know now . . . the true meaning of my mother's words. My daughters growing up were so much kinder to each other than my sister and me. Hopefully, my grandchildren will be even better.

Todays Gospel (Matthew 7:7-12) gives us easy answers when we are struggling:

Jesus said to his disciples: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.  Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asked for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asked for a fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.

“Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.  This is the law and the prophets.”


In Volume Seven, St. Damien asks us to remain centered on Christ when we struggle with our ego:


"I watch your difficulties and understand your struggles. You walk with Jesus, though, and if you remain in an awareness of His presence you will feel stronger and more confident. Many of your struggles can be minimized with constant acts of Holy Indifference. Jesus, along with all of His many helpers, needs you to be His hands, His heart, and His representatives. He can get the work done through you quite easily. You are a part of the work but not the whole work. Let me make this even clearer. If you remain small, understanding that without the help of God you are without power, He can do the greatest things through you. When man swells in his heart and feels that it is he himself who is accomplishing these things, the trouble begins. Egos are difficult friends and dreadful rulers. Keep your ego on a very short leash and understand that your merit lies in your obedience to Christ. Do not take credit for what Christ does through you. He cannot entrust great missions to you if your ego swells with each success. When your work is successful, praise God. When your work fails, praise God. When the sun shines, praise God. When the rain falls, praise God. Do you get the idea? You serve Him and He will do great things through you. These great things have nothing to do with you except that you allowed heaven to use you as an instrument."

Lay apostles, how do you react when accused? By yelling and screaming, seeking justice to heal your wounded ego? Or, do you respond calmly with the facts? Sometimes, not reacting is the right answer. Instead of yelling, ask God to open another door.  Ask Him to fight the fight for you. Did you realize He always wins, but in His time, not ours? Make it easy. Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Thank you, Lord, for the ability to let go and continue climbing the mountain. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: