Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It's Hard To Be Humble

Before I begin writing my blog posts for the day, I ponder the daily readings and the Gospel. I close my eyes and ask the Lord to put into my head thoughts He desires me to articulate. Well, this song popped into my head by Mac Davis, It's Hard to be Humble:

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when your perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror 
cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man.
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doing the best that I can.

Emoting false humility may entertain some, but the truth is, we need to be humble in order to receive the graces God has intended for us. And as we receive those graces, we are
able to remain peaceful in a world constantly changing. Without humility, we block the possibility of receiving those graces and therefore remain restless.


In todays Gospel (Matthew 23:1-12), Jesus teaches us without humility, we may receive an earthly reward, but it pales in comparison to the reward and graces which come directly from Him:

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying, “The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry and lay them on people’s shoulders,
but they will not lift a finger to move them. All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation ‘Rabbi.’ As for you, do not be called ‘Rabbi.’ You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers. Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven. Do not be called ‘Master’; you have but one master, the Christ. The greatest among you must be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”


In the July 2007 Monthly Message, steady service in humility is what Jesus asks of us:


"My beloved ones, when you see signs that God has been rejected, you must remain peaceful. I, Jesus, have told you that change is necessary. I, Jesus, have told you that I desire change. I do not abandon you and I do not abandon the world. I have many friends in this world and you are among them. You trust Me, I know. I will honour the trust you have placed in Me. I will bring all things to the good, both in your life and in the world. I, the Blameless One, have never betrayed another and I will not betray you. Think often on the promises I have made to you. I have said I will never leave you. I have said I will protect My interests in your soul. I have said I will pursue conversion of your loved ones. During this time, I want each apostle to consider these promises. Serve Me in steadiness, of course, but also, serve Me in peace. Dear apostles, you are connected to Me. You accept My love. You know that just as I cherish you, I cherish all others. My dear friends, please live these truths because others are looking to you for example. Please. Give an example of joyful trust. I need this from you so that I can draw hurting souls back to Me. I am with you. I will help you to do this."

Lay apostles, it's easy to fall into the traps of the secular world where winning means being number one at all costs. Bigger, faster, stronger, more. God defines winning spiritually as more of Him and less of us. Read the Litany of Humility which I have referred to many times on my blog. In the end it comes down to giving credit where credit is due . . . to God. If we choose Him, we will be filled with joy and peace which can only come from heaven. 

Thank you, Lord, for the chances at humility thrown my way. It's hard to be humble, but once understood, life becomes more meaningful.

God bless,
Bonnie and Jay
(Jay is a beautiful writer and helped me with this post tonight! Thank you, my love!)

No comments: